Caye Caulker or Ambergis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

305scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This will be my first trip to Belize, and I'd love to ask for advice from The Board.

Will be in Belize City in a few weeks for work and will be able to play from Friday around noon until I fly out on Sunday at 1. (Too short, I know.) My colleague is also a diver, but my husband is not (but at least he snorkels!)

What is the recommended place to go for a day and a half of snorkeling/scuba- Caye Caulker or Ambergis ? I realize I won't get to go to the Blue Hole, but maybe next time.

Any recommended hotels and tour operators are also appreicated. Since it'll only be for two nights, we can afford to splurge a little!

Thanks for your help and advice!!

For local diving I'd probably recommend Ambergris. Diving off Caulker isn't very good, and they mostly go north to Ambergris waters or south to places like Serjeant's Caye.

As to where to stay, beware that in the next few weeks lots of places will be closed. Look at Belize Vacations, Tours, Resorts, News, Hotels, Travels, Flights, Weather, Maps, Real Estate for info on places, and contact those you feel inclined towards. One place you might consider, which will be open (although it was originally scheduled to be closed) is Tranquility Bay, at the far northern end of Ambergris Caye. Excellent place for both diving and snorkelling (from the beach). And extremely "tranquil".

You could hook up with Sea Sports Belize, or the Radisson I believe has a dive shop attached also, right in Belize City too. They can take you out for couple reef dives.

We're planning a visit to the San Pedro area in late December/early January. Is it possible to scuba dive if one isn't certified (I've never dived before), or should I plan on sticking to snorkeling?

Certainly possible. You can simply try it out in a half-day "experience", or you can go the whole hog and get certified. The latter takes three days (not full days) and is what I'd recommend if you think you might ever like to do it again - the cert card is valid indefinitely. If you think you might want to get certified, best get a copy of the PADI Open Water student's manual (from any PADI dive center - see Yellow Pages) and study it at home. Decide which San Pedro shop you'd like to go to and write to them beforehand, and they should work with you remotely. Otherwise I will.

You can instead opt for PADI's on-line learning system called eLearning. IMO it represents poor value for money, but it is very popular. What you don't want to do is nothing, because that will leave you with a lot of learning to do on your holiday.

Thanks! I may someday do it again, but I think for this trip I may stick with the half day experience and do some snorkeling. I'm in grad school, and if I get my guess, after I graduate I'll more than likely be back to Belize, at which point I may get certified. I only hope all the great things I'm reading are true! I'm *really* looking forward to visiting Ambergris Caye!

B

Saw tranquility bay's website and it looks great. Would've stayed there if it were just hubby and me, but our friend wants to be closer to town.

Can someone recommend a nice hotel within walking distance to town and dive operators, but still not in the middle of the raucus party-goers?

Thanks!

I've not been yet, but everything I've read, and everyone I've communicated with about it highly recommends Ak'bol retreat. It's just above the San Pedro River, close to town.

Sunbreeze Hotel is just across from the airstrip so at the southern edge of town, has an excellent reputation, and now houses one of Belize's leading dive operations. Can't think of one that more closely meets your requirements.

Back
Top Bottom