Cavern & Intro Cave?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhizophora79

Reaction score
In June me and my husband are going to go to Akumal, Mexico. We are definately interested in getting Cavern certified. Is the Cavern diving spectacular enough, or should we also consider getting intro cave certified as well to be blown away?

Rhizophora79,
First of all, welcome to the board.
Since I'm not familiar with your experience and background, a specific yes or no answer is difficult. The caverns/cenotes of the riveria maya are spectacular enough on their own. The caves are endless and phenonmenal. I'm quite confident, you will be sufficiently addicted whichever way you decide to go. Taking cavern by itself may afford a more relaxing pace since you are on vacation.
Enjoy and Dive Safe,
Larry

I am not sure about other agencies specs, but PADI cavern specialty is a 2 day / 4 dive course where you visit multiple cenotes and go over specialized cavern equipment and techniques. Also, one of the local dive shops (I think SSI) has a Yucatan Cenote Specialty which is a 2 dive intro course. We dove at Dos Ojos a number of times and absolutely love it. Visit www.hiddenworlds.com.

d33ps1x:

And if you want more options, check out Fred Devos. http://www.aquaexploration.com
He's very good too. Actually they all learned cavediving together, and now they explore the caves together. You won't go wrong with any of them. And the caverns are awesome, particularly the first time in. Have fun.

JohnF

IMO you should take those courses before you go if you can find some good instructors. Don't know where you are so that could be a obsticle. Cavern is not going to get you more access than your AOW or OW card depending on DO. You can dive in an overhead environment, Cavern, with an OW card, but you would obviously be more comfortable if you have been in that environment before. Intro will be a bit different than Cavern but depends on your instructor. Many require you to dive doubles in Intro but you can find some that will allow singles. Gear is also an issue. If your instructor will teach you in jacket bc or similar you can do that but many are requiring BP/wing setups for even Cavern. Intro is not much more than Cavern really. You can get out of sight of light but you won't be diving stages, decompression dives, in Intro. Good luck and have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom