Cavern diving in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend Hidden Worlds (www.hiddenworlds.com). I dove with them about 2 years ago. For those who are not cave certified, they have small groups of 3-4 divers (we just had my wife and I) led by a cave instructor. The geologic formations are unreal!!! I would highly recommend them. Just take the ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen and then a taxi down to Hidden Worlds. You can get directions for the taxi from their website. Have fun!

scubarat:
Has anyone done this? Who did you do a dive with? Thanks!

I dove the Cenotes in March of 2004 with Aldora Divers, great outfit out of Cozumel. The diving was very cool and totally different than anything else I had done. In my opinion, it is one of those things you do once. It is very interesting and cool to be swimming around totally submerged in these caves. There is really no life to speak with the exception of a few small fish. The formations are incredible and very beautiful. The water clarity will blow you away. It is a bit cooler than the ocean but I did not get cold after 2 dives in a 2 mil shorty.

I dove these after I had done 10 ocean dives so I was used to seeing so much sea life and I missed that aspect within the Cenotes, but I did not expect to see any.

Do it at least once, I'm sure you will find it very worthwhile. I would recommend it!

Although there are some cenotes on Cozumel, I have heard that they are not very good. The really good ones are located on the mainland near Playa Del Carmen. I just recently did several dives with Go Cenotes and they were awesome! Our DM was an American named Eric, who really knew his stuff an provided a great experience. Check out their site at www.gocenotes.com to find out more details. This is an experience that is not to be missed. When you book your dives, make sure that they are the last dives of your trip. The fresh water is great for rinsing your gear before the trip home.

I agree with the above posts.

I have done 4 separate caves on Cozumel, and there really is no "Cavern" zone to speak of. They are remarkable, but for a cavern tour I'd go with a mainland operator.
You would enjoy it much more. The cavern area is just totally different from one area to the other. Amazingly, since they're just a few miles apart.

If you do the mainland cenotes, hook up with a dive shop from downtown PDC. They will most likely get you down there. It's about a 45 minute to hour drive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom