Cavern diver certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And if you look a little lower, you will also see this:

Perhaps we were talking past each other. What you said originally was that to be a cavern instructor, one only needed 20 cavern dives. I said that you also needed to be full cave certified.

I didn't say anything about internships, etc. I just said it is more than what you indicated in your post.

Good grief, I thought the understanding had already been made that Rob meant that they had to have full cave training as a pre-requisite. I understand the confusion of his earlier post but I thought you two had cleared up the miscommunication. If you were familiar with the form and the standards contained therein prior to my first post on this thread, it would have been wonderful for you to have referred to it in your previous posts so you two could have the facts and stop the miscommunication and bickering.

padi? and other similar agencies, qualify only to permission to get on a boat
for insurance purposes standards, and then receiving everyone's permission
you may begin to learn something only of your own volition only if you wish

spending fifteen hundred or so clams to become neutral in robotic trim
is a lot of diving money, where you can if capable easily teach yourself

If you choose a permission for insurance purposes agency, for anything
more than them TAKING you to thirty metres on air, well then you may
as well spend your clams on a soviet rebreather teach yourself and dive
at night.

Huh? Your post is cryptic. Please tell me that you are not advocating that divers do not need proper training to dive in a cavern or cave.

Good for you, Kristopher!

I believe that training is always good for a diver, and it is good to train with different agencies to see what you do and don't like about them. SB is full of opinions that suit the opinion-holder, but may not suit you. On SB there is a race to be the first to say "it is all about the instructor, not the agency" (which is to some degree true), but the agency colours the instructor, and the instructors colour the agency.

Personally, I did Cavern (NACD) knowing that, because of where I live, I will never get enough experience and regular practice in caves to be a competent cave diver. Hence I would likely not pass full cave, and if I did, if I would not want to penetrate a cave with me as a buddy, I should not inflict "me" upon others. To me, Cavern was a means to learn new things that I would not be able to follow up on. You know what? It was quite likely the best course that I ever took in my life!

Enjoy!

There are many cave instructors that will not accept a PADI cavern certification as a prerequisite for intro cave.

I am not one of those instructors. I do an evaluation of the skills of any diver who presents me a padi, cds, nacd or any other cavern card. If their skills suck they get remediation, if their skills are fine we start the class. I know several padi cavern instructors who do a great job with cavern students, I know some from the other agencies listed above who do not. :shakehead:

I require the same if I don't know the instructor they did cavern with...sometimes even if I do... :wink:

I do think anyone considering enrolling in a cavern class should be aware of these things.

If the only thing you ever want to do is poke around in the cavern zone, a cavern certification from a recreational agency will do--the required skills are about the same as for the other agencies.

If the only thing you want to do is poke around in the cavern zone, you don't need a cavern certification :)

If the only thing you want to do is poke around in the cavern zone, you don't need a cavern certification :)

But if your wish is to do it safely and live to do it again, get properly trained & certified.

I played russian roulette once and lived, therefor I should be fine in the future...

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Do me a favor and do it in MX, so you're retarted ass doesn't get a cave closed down in the US.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom