Cavern courses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've talked to several people who did exactly what you mentioned, then took GUE-F, and said "That was the hardest class I've ever taken." :14:
Took Fundies and it did present a solid base to build further diving on.

Well, I am the one. I was PADI Dive Master and took fundies out of curiosity. Oh my! I discovered how much I suck. After fundies I enjoyed my diving tenfold. This is not bashing. My PADI instructor really promoted safe diving. He is good and safe diver. Although, even he admitted when we went for few fun dives year later after I took OW and had GUE training, that my GUE training made me better diver in all aspects. Team, communications, buoyancy, awareness, trim, safety. Divers are funny bunch. He doesn’t like DIR for all wrong reasons that are mentioned in last 10 years. But he did recognized good diving. We are still great friends even though he is PADI poster child and I am DIR boy. Sorry, but we don’t dive much. He is into teaching; I am into some serious diving. But I will dive with him anytime. (non technical)

No DM or instructor courses teach anyone how to dive. The purpose of those courses is to teach how to supervise and teach. That's it. You should know how to dive before getting to that point. Unfortunately, most don't.

A moment of trivia.

It's funny how the word "cavern" has completely different meanings each side of the Atlantic. To an American and to most recreational divers world-wide (probably because of the American influence) it has the familiar meaning - effectively that portion of a cave that still has some natural light. But to a British caver a cavern is a chamber, often massive, deep underground and (usually) far from any daylight.

That also underlies the difference between American and British cave divers. An American cave diver is a diver first, caver second. A British cave diver is a caver first, diver second.

A moment of trivia.

It's funny how the word "cavern" has completely different meanings each side of the Atlantic. To an American and to most recreational divers world-wide (probably because of the American influence) it has the familiar meaning - effectively that portion of a cave that still has some natural light. But to a British caver a cavern is a chamber, often massive, deep underground and (usually) far from any daylight.

That also underlies the difference between American and British cave divers. An American cave diver is a diver first, caver second. A British cave diver is a caver first, diver second.

Good points, just not always. There are many Americans that are cavers first, but also cave dive, as well as many American cave divers who aren't at all interested in caving (poor guys!). Within the dry caving world, the cavern meaning is often just what it is in British cave diving.

Sidemounters rock though, from either side of the pond! :)

To the OP: There are a lot of good suggestions and some great information here. I'd "interview" some instructors, regardless of agency, and find one that is a good fit for your learning style. And start saving your pennies...it's a wonderfully addictive and expensive "hobby".

A moment of trivia.

If I would have known this definition of cavern, I would have saved a lot of money on a cave class....DOH! :rofl3:

.... as well as many American cave divers who aren't at all interested in caving (poor guys!). .....
Hey, Hey, have you seen 'The Descent'? That is why I don't (dry)cave

Don't be making that assumption that you could breeze through

Lol true, true. It is alot easier to handle a reel and a tie-off when you're reasonably in trim and know how to kick and backkick though. Hence my suggestion to try a NAUI intro to tech or GUE-F class to learn some of that stuff before layering on overhead specifics.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom