cavern / cenote diving Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whiskers

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All,

Heading to DR next week. I did some research and found 2 places to do cavern tour in DR - Taina Cave on South Shore and Dudu Lake on the North Side. I did cenote diving in Yucatan and loved it. I thought these could offer comparable experience. I will be staying in Santo Domingo first and then move to Cabarete. Does anyone have recommendation as to which dive centers would be the best to book with for the cenote dives? Additionaly, I will have some time in SD to do some ocean diving as well. Appreciate your input. Thanks!
Whiskers

Are you certified cave diver? Dudu lake is a cavern diving, but the caves on the south coast are real caves for certified cave divers or for those that want to take a cave diver course. It's not for recreational divers. Some of our clients dove around SD with Golden Arrow, in Sosua (there is no diving in Cabarete) you can try Merlin Dive shop if they still do Dudu lake as they used to few years ago or Elite diving - not sure if they do the cavern diving. Enjoy the dives and stay safe

No, I am not a cave diver, neither I would want venture in somewhere without proper training, that's why I would do only cavern-tour type of dives. I was thinking of doing a course as I have 8 days total but I own a regular BC/reg type of equipment and cannot buy a different one at the moment:( Thank you for the pointers, I will research more on the shops you mentioned.

please be careful. don't let your interest get you in where you can't get out - there's a cave diver from dr in another forum who constantly bewails the poor equipment and skills of the people leading dives there, unlike the (relatively) safe tours in mexico.

i won't say don't do it - that wouldn't work, you don't know me. so i'll say don't let your judgment go on vacation just because you are.

.......don't let your judgment go on vacation just because you are.

lol. thats a good one. i'll have to remember that. i can apply that advise to a bunch of areas in my life.

I recommend Golden Arrow in Santo Domingo. Denis is a great guy and the equipment there is ok.

Not sure what all you can see with open water certification though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom