Cave water quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ROMO DIVER

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was reading a post the other day about various methods of fluid intake while cave diving. Everything from Capri Suns to underwater fluid bags was mentioned. However, one thing I did not see mentioned got me to thinking. Does anyone know the water quality for most caves? Would just removing your reg and taking a sip be advisable? I know that I have had it preached to me from a very early age that even the most picturesque mountain stream contains a number of digestive tract unfriendly organisms and bacteria but would the natural filtration through substrate make the cave waters more agreeable?

I've drank the water from most of the caves. Never caused me any problems. Not that I advocate doing it. :)

I asked my instructor which ones were ok and which were not :) Most are ok, though I have never been thirsty enough to try yet.

We don't need no stinkin bottles!!!

Yeah, I do a ton of training at Vortex and I think they have/do bottle water from there but have always assumed that it was treated and/or filtered. But then again, you know what they say about assuming!

I was really trying to see if anyone had any imperical data (ie. water quality tests).

I dont know of any water being bottled at vortex yet, but wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt happen one day. Cypress, madison blue and a few others do have water being bottled from them but the water is treated so there are no micro-organisims living in it. On the same note, If I am in a cave with ripping flow I will take a sip, might bite me one day but hasnt yet.

Bill Huth would be the one to ask, he is on CDF Romo.

I don't think there is a "most caves". They're all real different. I drink the water at places where its super clear pretty regularly. But others have nasties such as septic intrusion, garbage, oil, and other various chemicals in the water. I'll pass on that.

I drink the water a lot. sometimes I get sore throats. there really is no 'most caves' answer

I've drank water from mountain streams, clear Northern lakes, and other places. Not tons of it at a time mind you. Never a problem-lucky maybe. Seems cave water would be perhaps even safer?--unless the cave is like real near LA or NYC, etc.

Back
Top Bottom