Cave diving in Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diving in Texas

When I lived in Texas, I researched the subject heavily and this is what I found:

Goodenough Springs. Located on the bottom of Lake Amistad near Del Rio. You need a boat. The surface was marked with a buoy in the late 90s. A boil forms on the surface when the lake temp is below 69 degrees. Depth depends on lake level, started in 110 the last time I was there. Two main tunnels, lower tunnel goes for about 200 ft back to around 140ft depth and pinches down to sidemount tunnel. High flow but neat dive.

Jacob's Well. Located just west of Wimberly, which is south of Austin. Used to be open to the public until some open water divers died in the 80s. Has a beautiful vertical tunnel the first 30ft. Narrows after that and drops down at a 45 degree tunnel until first restriction at 60. Goes to a small restriction at 90ft, need sidemounts after that. Goes well beyond 130 ft I'm told but has multiple small restrictions and easily disturbed clay. It is technically closed to diving but people who purchase a camping pass at the nearby campground can access it. Just keep a low profile or dive it at night.

Balmorhea Springs. In west texas in the middle of nowhere. All though I've never dove it, I hear there is an extensive cave system at a nearby spring. Property access is unknown.

I've heard of some other caves around Texas but have heard about any conformation on whether they are diveable. Any more info on other systems would be appreciated

Are there any public access underwater diveable caves in Texas or nearbye states? Florida is so far, and though I try to get there a couple of times a year, I need some caves closer to Dallas to keep my skills up. Any Ideas?
Jacobs Well, but I’m not sure if it is completely open. I think you need permit that verifies training and certification to dive it “legally.” I would check on that one.

Minimum qualifications for team members include the following diving specialties: Full Cave, Decompression, and Normoxic Trimix (helium-based mixed gases).

Jacobs Well, but I’m not sure if it is completely open. I think you need permit that verifies training and certification to dive it “legally.” I would check on that one.

You resurrected a thread from 2003!

Since this is being refreshed:
Jacobs Well is being administered by the USGS and it is not open to any recreational diving.
Phantom Springs is the one out "near" Balmorhea, it is administered by the Bureau of Reclamation. There are two scientific permits in existence, but they are not currently allowing any diving.
Goodenough Springs is in Lake Amistad. Those guys are nuts. (deep, high flow, goes straight down, etc)
I have heard of another one closer to DFW that is more of a sump dive, with about a mile of dry/wet to the shoulders cave to get to the sump. Don't remember what it is called anymore.

I have also heard "there are definitely divable caves on private land" but never a peep on details beyond that. The Hill country has the right type of rocks and topography, but the water table is too low for flooded caves to be common.

I remember watching a video a few years ago of a guy diving a texas cave. He had to unstack rocks at the back of the cavern to enter the cave. When asked about it he said the local cave diving clubs have numerous good sites but keep them secret and frequently block entrances so it’s hard to spot if you dont know to look for it. It’s as trustworthy as any second hand info online lol but does hint that if you find a local dive club or grotto and earn a place in the ranks you may get access to plenty of info on the subject.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom