Cave diving in Japan.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akioMtFuji

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I discovered new cave at Miyako! :hb2:

I discovered the thin seawater cave.:cheers:
Miyako Island is the most islands with the sea cavern in Japan.
But, the cave investigation of the land wasn't done till now.
I got the information service of the Okinawa Prefectural Government, and went to Miyako Island.

The new cave name is Kikyaga.
It is a very interesting name.
Meaning of name is the spring of golden aim.
Kikyaga is the well of the designated cultural properties.
Kikyaga is being used as an agricultural water in the natural pond.
When I dived in the pond, the under water was a complicated cave.
Kikyaga is the cave of thin seawater.
http://eco.ac/ckc/top/miyako

akioMtFuji - I have taken the liberty of splitting this post into a new thread as it wasn't very visible where you posted it.
This is for me very interesting as I have been to Miyako and dived most of the sea caverns there. It's one of my favorite places. Can you give any more description of the cave? How big it is? Did you fully penetrate it? I would be very interested to hear more about it. Congratulations on your discovery!

Kim:
akioMtFuji - I have taken the liberty of splitting this post into a new thread as it wasn't very visible where you posted it.
Thanks Kim for made a new thread and information.

Just time, :icon10:
I am thinking whether a new thread will be made in the Zen Divers.
But,
that a new thread name is not only "New cave in Miyako".
You know that Miyako Island is famous in the sea caverns of Japan.
But, cavern and a cave are thought to be the same to many diver.
Many diver aren't distinguished from the cavern of the cave.

There are a few comments only "Miyako".
I want to add not only Japan but also Asia and Australia.
Because, it is difficult to dive in the Japanese caves legally.
A cave is in the neighboring countries as well and Australia are near from Japan.
May I ask you to change a thread name to "Cave diving in Japan, Asia and Australia" ? :umnik:

Kim:
This is for me very interesting as I have been to Miyako and dived most of the sea caverns there. It's one of my favorite places. Can you give any more description of the cave? How big it is? Did you fully penetrate it? I would be very interested to hear more about it. Congratulations on your discovery!
Kikyaga is the cave of the land which is close to the sea.
It consists of two big tunnels and two narrow tunnels.
There is an air dome, and an animal's bone falls there.
The depth of water is only twenty feet.
Even Cavern Diver can enjoy a main tunnel because it is large and shallow though governmental permission is necessary.
Recommendation from me is necessary to get governmental permission.
I don't have a schedule now though I want to go to Miyako.
Therefore, if you want to dive in Kikyaga, I cooperate with getting government permission actively.

I have dived at Kikyaga only several hundred feet yet. :sulkoff:
Because, I had a television and a newspaper covered that time.
It has 1000 feet from Kikyaga to the sea.
I don't know whether a cave diver can go to the sea though it is connected with the sea because it is thin salt water.
Because Kikyaga touches the mother sea, the possibility to discover a new critters is high.

I uploaded the map of Kikyaga.
http://eco.ac/ckc/top/miyako

I haven't dived yet though I know more three Miyako caves. :pity_part
And I dived in the cave of Kyushu though it was the cave of not Fukuoka but Oita.

Congratulations AkioMtFuji! This sounds really interesting and please keep us updated.

Thomas

That sounds very interesting. Which island is this on. All the sea caverns that I know are either on Shimoji or Irabu - is that where this cave is? It's interesting that the water is salty. Torike (did I spell that right?) on Shimoji is also an inland lake connected to the sea by a deeper cavern. The water changes from salt to fresh there though - maybe because of the depth of the connecting cavern. I am beginning to get very curious!!

Thanks Tomas.
So the caves is interesting to me too.
But I don't have time to go to Miyako.
Don't you know cave diver who goes to anyone Miyako?
TJO:
Congratulations AkioMtFuji! This sounds really interesting and please keep us updated.

Thomas

Kim:
That sounds very interesting. Which island is this on. All the sea caverns that I know are either on Shimoji or Irabu - is that where this cave is? It's interesting that the water is salty. Torike (did I spell that right?) on Shimoji is also an inland lake connected to the sea by a deeper cavern. The water changes from salt to fresh there though - maybe because of the depth of the connecting cavern. I am beginning to get very curious!!
A cave is not Shimoji, not Irabu, and it is in real Miyako island.
It isn't salty, but it is thin salty. :lilbunny:

Toori-ike(This is right) is so big cavern.
Did you see the dental fossil of the shark on the wall?

I don't have an expeditionary schedule next year.:hideing_b

Because I was permitted, I will go to Tohoku someday.
Though it is on the weather, I think to go at next Tuesday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom