Cave 1 drills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octgal:
I'm taking cavern/cave intro, is that the same as cave 1?

If you are talking about GUE's cavern/cave intro, then the answer is no. Like yoe say, it is an intro, cave I is a full training.

D.

DOXA:
If you are talking about GUE's cavern/cave intro, then the answer is no. Like yoe say, it is an intro, cave I is a full training.

D.
ok, so if i understand you correctly, full cave is Cave 1? Just sounded like there would be more to it if they were going to call it cave 1 or am i wrong and there is a Cave 2?

and no, i'm not taking GUE's course, i was just wondering if i should expect the same sort of skill drills as was posted earlier

actually just to save you the key strokes, i see that there is a 1, 2 and 3 by GUE cave

Cave 2 is supposed to be the equivalent of full cave. However, depending on how well your cave 2 class is, you can have stage training. That is typically beyond other agencies full cave. Some classes will get to stages on the last day or not at all if they are not ready. Some classes like mine that trained together (ie good team work) and were prepared get to use stages for most of the class.

Cave 1 is harder to define. It really is beyond intro but not quite apprentice just by the material covered and number of dives you done as part of the class. You will be restricted by GUE limits which will amount to intro. However, a cave 1 cert will permit you to do gaps where no directional decision can be made. A jump is not permitted at this level.

Cave 3 (very few have been through this) prepares one for exploration type diving. My guess is most of the GUE cave 3 people are involved with some of the organizations like the WKPP or OCDA, etc.

octgal:
ok, so if i understand you correctly, full cave is Cave 1? Just sounded like there would be more to it if they were going to call it cave 1 or am i wrong and there is a Cave 2?

and no, i'm not taking GUE's course, i was just wondering if i should expect the same sort of skill drills as was posted earlier

I think most will find that the GUE instructors would prefer the students just wait to get to the class for things such a line handling skills. That way the student doesn't have to unlearn bad habits.

I couldn't agree more about how bouyancy and good team skills make the class easier and the instructors really do expect most of this to be in place. There are probably few things more frustrating to an instructor who has to waste time on fundamental skills when they would love to be teaching someone how to cave dive. The funny thing is, even if the student has good bouyancy and trim coming in, those first few times into high flow will bring that student back down to earth in a hurry. High flow is another one of the great equalizers.

RTodd:
While you could practice with reels, etc., they will teach you that in the class. What will make all of the cave class skills easier for you is if you can maintain bouyancy doing these things and are constantly aware of your buddy.

Your info is outdated on 1/6ths. I believe it is now 1/3 or max 500 psi going in.

Soggy:
Cave 1 is the equivalent of Intro to Cave...both are taught using rule of 1/6ths and doubles.

Full cave is Cave 2.

DOXA:

D.

Like Dan and Soggy said...your wrong. Cave 1 is like intro+. And there is NO GUE cavern/intro.

Dan Gibson:
Your info is outdated on 1/6ths. I believe it is now 1/3 or max 500 psi going in.
500psi going in pretty much equates to 1/6ths.

I know! after my intro class I was just able to tie off to the main line and I was almost at 1/6th! Now I can go in a few hundred feet, but if you do 1/6th of small doubles your still almost cavern diving.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom