Cave 1 drills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DOXA

Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody know where I can find a list of the drills/exercises that given at a Cave 1 course?

D.

DOXA:
Does anybody know where I can find a list of the drills/exercises that given at a Cave 1 course?

See: http://www.gue.com/classroom/cave1.shtml

Land Drills & Topics

1. Reel and guideline use in standard operating procedures
2. Team order and protocols
3. Use of safety spools/reels
4. Reel and guideline use in emergency procedures, including touch contact and gas-sharing techniques
5. Lost diver procedures
6. Lost guideline procedures
7. Basic navigation skills
8. Visual referencing skills

Required Dive Skills & Drills

1. All skills and drills as outlined in General Diving Skills, Section 1.5.
2. Pre-dive planning to include:
* Assess and review diving limitations
* Dive plan review
* Equipment review
* Equipment familiarization
3. Navigation, to include:
* Visual reference
* Guideline use
* Limited and simulated zero visibility
4. Procedures for gas failures; including valve manipulation, gas-sharing, and regulator switching (as appropriate).
5. Demonstrate proficiency in safe diving techniques, including pre-dive preparations, in-water activity, and post-dive assessment.
6. Gas-sharing scenarios to include:
* Breath hold management
* Out-of-gas diver
* Gas-sharing of at least 200 feet/60 meters
7. Use of various propulsion techniques.
8. Use of touch contact for limited and simulated zero visibility situations.
9. Use of line following techniques for limited/no visibility experiences.
10. Demonstrate the efficient deployment of a reserve light in less than 30 seconds.
11. Demonstrate proficient buoyancy control skills.
12. Perform a Lost Diver drill while remaining calm and maintaining a horizontal attitude and neutral posture.
13. Perform a Lost Line drill while remaining calm and maintaining a horizontal attitude and neutral posture.
14. Demonstrate effective valve-management by switching regulators, shutting down a valve in less than 15 seconds, and then returning the valve to the open position again in less than 15 seconds.
15. Demonstrate proficiency with guideline management in the following situations:
* Simulated zero visibility line following; this would incorporate touch-contact skills
* Efficient deployment of the guideline
* Efficient removal of the guideline
16. Show aptitude in resolving line entanglement where appropriate.

DOXA:

D.

Your bouyancy and team (buddy) skills won't be good enough. Work on those two. Everything else is, for the most part, derivative of the quality of those two.

MonkSeal:
It's covered in Cave-1 Manual: "Beyond the Daylight Zone" which is available from GUE.

Are all drills not only mentioned, but also explained in this manual?

D.

RTodd:
Your bouyancy and team (buddy) skills won't be good enough. Work on those two. Everything else is, for the most part, derivative of the quality of those two.

Good suggestion. Is buddy awareness en bouyancy control simular like the stuff I learned in DIR-F or even harder?

D.

DOXA:
Good suggestion. Is buddy awareness en bouyancy control simular like the stuff I learned in DIR-F or even harder?

D.

The purpose of DIRF is to teach you those two skills plus the other two basics. However, maintaining good bouyancy while tieing off a reel in a flow and some other things you will do in your cave class is more difficult than any of the DIRF stuff. While you could practice with reels, etc., they will teach you that in the class. What will make all of the cave class skills easier for you is if you can maintain bouyancy doing these things and are constantly aware of your buddy.

RTodd:
The purpose of DIRF is to teach you those two skills plus the other two basics. However, maintaining good bouyancy while tieing off a reel in a flow and some other things you will do in your cave class is more difficult than any of the DIRF stuff. While you could practice with reels, etc., they will teach you that in the class. What will make all of the cave class skills easier for you is if you can maintain bouyancy doing these things and are constantly aware of your buddy.

Good suggestion, thanks, I will start working on that.

Any other good idea's to prepare for Cave I?

D.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom