caught in a down draft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu:
I guess that could be another use for an SMB..........good job.

In my TDI advanced nitrox and deco class they taught us how to use an SMB as an emergency alternate buoyancy control device, that was when I threw away my tattered and well used old Scubapro SMB and bought a pair of OMS SMB with manually operated dump valves.

In the highly unlikely event that wing is punctured I know I can use my SMB, albeit rather clumsily, to establish buoyancy and carry out a normal ascent.

liberato:
Though scarier, it is usually better to get sucked down than up. It is great that you were with an instructor who could provide an after dive review. What did he say when you told him you almost decided to drop your weights at depth?

He said I did ok on that dive. The next day we went diving again at a wreck and another nice site.

lobbolt:
He said I did ok on that dive. The next day we went diving again at a wreck and another nice site.

I think you did better than great. Nicely done, even for a veteran of many more dives than your profile would allow.

I have been to the Philippines since this thread began. Until that point, I thought[/u] I knew what currents were.

These were within reason for an advanced diver, but you really had to be on it. We dove on the East end of Isla Verde, East of Batangas, Mindoro.

The converging currents boiled on the surface and the DM, after years of watching over newer divers was wary. He turned and saw us grinning, ear to ear- that's all it took... off we went after a good briefing.

At one point, I am hanging onto a 80 foot piece of wire that is secured to a concrete filled barrel. Flying like a kite. Currents up, down, sideways.

After that he sought these sites out for us. Thank you Atlantis Hotel Dive Staff!

(See some photos in "My Gallery")

We will be going back in August!

I had a similar situation happen while diving the Blue Corner in Palau. While filming a shark at about 100', an aluminum bottle used for positive buoyancy on the video camera imploded. Stunning me, the force of the blast knocked my mask off, and the regulator out of my mouth. Unknowingly I was in a down current. I caught the mask and eventually found the regulator on my left side. When I checked the depth, I had passed 200', even though I was kicking up as hard as I could. Thoughts at that time were very clear, "This is how divers die". In reality it took me 5 - 10 seconds to inflate the bc to the point where the downward plunge stopped. Now I began to worry about becoming a Polaris Missile, and started venting the bc, eventually stopping at 30'. I had been down about 5-7 minutes and with the buoyancy problems, depth and my hyperventilation was down to less than 1000 psi. I made the next 500 last while I made a 20 minute deco and mental health break at 15 feet. What I learned was 1) NO video is worth the danger getting, and the trouble it can get you into. 2) Although there was no current on the top, I hadn't paid attention as I entered a downward flow. 3) Time practicing finding my reg was well spent. If I hadn't reflexively grabbed for the first stage I probably would have not been able to find the second stage in time. 4) Getting the bc filled asap and then making sure that the ascent is controlled. 5) Taking a real time out to analyze what had happened, and the share with others what happened and why.

Hope this is of help to others.

lobbolt:
I just got home from a 4 day dive trip to Anilao, Philippines....Taking a glance at my computer I saw that the current had taken me from 20 meters to 30 in a few seconds....

My story, similar situation, same country, very close location (Canyons in Puerto Galera)

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=108966

Glad you made it back too - scary, isn't it?

Regards,

I have dived quite a bit in PG and never been unlucky enough to get caught in a downdraught.

I did get caught in a severe up current whilst doing a channel dive in the Maldives. Geez! Me and my buddy had to cling onto rocks and clamber across the seabed to get out of it. Quite a few folks weren't so lucky and got swept almost up to the surface. Luckily, it was still very early in the dive and nobody got bent.

mmajor:
I had a similar situation happen while diving the Blue Corner in Palau. While filming a shark at about 100', an aluminum bottle used for positive buoyancy on the video camera imploded. Stunning me, the force of the blast knocked my mask off, and the regulator out of my mouth. Unknowingly I was in a down current. I caught the mask and eventually found the regulator on my left side. When I checked the depth, I had passed 200', even though I was kicking up as hard as I could. Thoughts at that time were very clear, "This is how divers die". In reality it took me 5 - 10 seconds to inflate the bc to the point where the downward plunge stopped. Now I began to worry about becoming a Polaris Missile, and started venting the bc, eventually stopping at 30'. I had been down about 5-7 minutes and with the buoyancy problems, depth and my hyperventilation was down to less than 1000 psi. I made the next 500 last while I made a 20 minute deco and mental health break at 15 feet. What I learned was 1) NO video is worth the danger getting, and the trouble it can get you into. 2) Although there was no current on the top, I hadn't paid attention as I entered a downward flow. 3) Time practicing finding my reg was well spent. If I hadn't reflexively grabbed for the first stage I probably would have not been able to find the second stage in time. 4) Getting the bc filled asap and then making sure that the ascent is controlled. 5) Taking a real time out to analyze what had happened, and the share with others what happened and why.

Hope this is of help to others.
Shark narcosis?

Interesting, as my ears don't normally equalize on their own, I get this cue when I change depth just a few meters up or down. That helps as when videoing sealife the critters can change depth easily several meters.

Thanks for sharing that story. It sounds really scary finning and not getting anywhere. You remained calm, which is the most important thing. I hope that if something like that happens to me, I'd remain as calm.

Back
Top Bottom