Catch & Cook Lionfish in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I plan to spend a week in the northern Keys after Christmas. Are there any restaurants that will prepare Lionfish that you catch/spear?

As a visitor are there any legal responsibilities I need to know about before hunting Lionfish, e.g. permits, licenses, hopefully not hunting seasons or limits?

Many will, Pilot House I know right off the top if my head. I'm in Mexico for 2 weeks, but shoot me a PM then to remind me & get you several more.

Thanks...will do.

free hunting on lion fish in Florida.....of course check the FWC website....but i do believe its free for all.

free hunting on lion fish in Florida.....of course check the FWC website....but i do believe its free for all.
Any special gear or gear recommendations...
I would have to buy when I get there so how about a store?

here's a few links for regulations in the FKNMS and florida specific to Monroe county(north of long key). convoluted and complex. spearfishing is essentially banned in pennekamp park, state waters in monroe county from long key north to the dade county line and the key largo existing management area(which extends from molasses reef north to Biscayne national park out to 300FT) even for lionfish except in sanctioned lionfish derbies where a temporary permit is issued. as for dining, most establishments in the keys will cook your catch. I like fish house encore, lazy days, and the "catch" for cooking lobster I bring in,,

reefman
key largo

Lionfish Recreational Regulations

Existing Management Areas

Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary Lionfish Removal Permits

I plan to spend a week in the northern Keys after Christmas. Are there any restaurants that will prepare Lionfish that you catch/spear?

There are actually a bunch of places that us spearo's take our catch to and have cooked. Be aware that terms and prices vary wildly and if on a huge holiday SLAMMED weekend a chef may say that 'service' is unavailable that evening.

So I'll assume you are going on a slow weekend and here's just my 3 favorites. Since most of Key Largo is protected(no spearing) that leaves you closer to Islamorada/Tavenier. Lorelei which is gulfside, live music, good deck atmosphere and will cook at $6.99/PP no sides. But I like Lazy Days better at $15.99/PP, with 2 sides and will cook it multiple ways with many prep/sauces too so you get a unique sampler to share and try. They are oceanside and have live music too as well as inside airconditioned seating (think Hot outside)

In Largo I have brought fish to SunDowners (gulf side/sunsets) and it was excellent and a bit more expensive (but well worth it). Again beach dining, great sunsets, live music.

In reality, almost any dinner venue will cook your catch if you ask in advance and make prior arrangements by phone call. You are in the fishing capital of the USA and this is not the first time a dinner venue has been asked this question. Keep in mind that most places will request you keep it to 1 pound of fish per person. Also everyone wants you to give them temperature appropriate and filet'd, de-boned and eatible filets ready for immediate cooking. If you toss them a skin-on whole fish, expect to be denied. Ask your captain to filet and bag your catch (with appropriate tips)

Lastly, let's imagine you are kicked to the curb with your cooler full of fresh lionfish filets for what ever reason. Not to worry, just head to Publix/Winn Dixie with your dive knife safely stowed.

You'll need :
1 container of pre-diced yellow onions
1 container of pri-sliced green onions
2 jalopeno peppers – you'll need to de-seed and dice
Cilantro leaves if you wish
1 bag of “Scoops” chips
2 nice fresh lemons
1 coffee filter you borrowed from the front hotel lobby
That baggie they put in your room ice bucket

Dump the pre-diced yellow onions and green onions into the ice bucket baggie. Take your dive knife and carefully slice, dice and de-seed the jalopeno's. Pick and pull the cilantro leaves, and cut up your lionfish filets into ¼ inch cubes. Toss everything also into the ice bucket baggie and shake vigoursly to mix well. Cut the lemon's in half, put each half individually in the coffee filter and squeeze the juice into the baggie so no seeds fall in. Shake and mix again, cover with ice and bring to the dive boat. In 90 minutes after prep you'll have a mouth watering lionfish ceviche and be voted the best customer of the year with your picture taken. (your mileage may vary) At least you will be able to pick the 2nd dive site since the captain will be full and happy to take you almost to the end of his gas gauge. I have seriously made this simple recipe in the dive boat's parking lot before loading my gear and it is always acclaimed by other divers and crew.

So you have a dive knife right ?

On my one and only trip to the Keys I stayed on Islamorada and had my first meal at Lazy Days...a Lion Fish Sandwich. So I have a special place in my heart for Lazy Days. The little motel I stay at has Kitchenette so we can cook our own if need be.

Thanks all...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom