Catalina U/W park dive report.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IceDiverInCA:
Add Psalty V, Second Stage, Pacific Star and Lois Ann to the list.

I guess nitrox is far more interesting to talk about than the service in Avalon.
Apparently it is. I started this thread and wow.... what a detour. But I am learning, and have enjoyed the lively debate. I think I'll stay away from Nitrox for a while.... still need more experiance. But now I know what thread to look up for when I'm ready :)

What are the restrictions for taking stuff over on the Express , can i bring my tanks ,do i have to rent tanks when i get there.

I guess I started the detour by mentioning the nitrox fill issue at the park but, WOW, you all have sure run with it! I must point out since the issue of training has been brought up, how much information is enough in a basic enriched air diver course to 40%? a majority of issues discussed here would be more apropriate in an advanced nitrox course and especially in a gas blender course. This thread has now overwhelmed and scared Scuba Jerm away from a nitrox course. Should I bash the SCUBA industry and my agencies standards to my students in an effort to give them all the facts? Or should I teach them the standards and then focous on actually diving nitrox safley eg. EAD & MOD formulas, expanded table use, anylizer use ect. at what point do we overwhelm our students? If trianing is limited on the fill issue in the basic course well, shouldn't it be to a point? I surley dont have my open water students run through the Encyclopeadia of Recreational Diving and give them exams on Phyisics, physiology, Dive Theroy, and Equiptment. While that information may be relevent and make them better divers overall it is outside the scope of the course and would absolutly overwhelm them. The real point is saftey first, FUN second. Yes the bands are marketing, yes the standards are conservitive. If you wish to have standards changed you are arguing to the wrong people, shops and instructors don't make the standards but are legally required to abide by them! Start a pettition to fund real research get real data to back up your point of view and present it to the powers that be, the ones that write the standards, not those that are forced to abide by them. Just a thought.

terrasmak:
What are the restrictions for taking stuff over on the Express , can i bring my tanks ,do i have to rent tanks when i get there.

If you go to the Catalina Island Express website they list the regulations on tanks etc.

IIRC you are allowed a single tank, more than that may incurr an additional charge, I could be wrong here, so I'd check.

In practice I've never been charged anything extra, even when traveling with doubles, scooters, etc.

The Express runs a number of different boats, each specific boat will have it's own requirements regarding baggage. Dive gear goes in lockers on the bow on one boat, on the stern on another, and third requires you put your tanks on the back deck, and your baggage goes in a hold below decks.

In my opinion it's these various requirements that leads some divers to get frustrated. They think they know what the drill is only to have it change.

When I'm hauling a pile 'o' gear I check with the staff to see exactly how they'd prefer I proceed.

Tobin

I've been given flack carrying gear to Two Harbors which is usually the smaller boat with the luggage below in the front. Completely different experience from Avalon. I'm planning on carrying full gear, including tank to Two Harbors a couple times this Fall. Already decided to call the Express first and then ask for a copy of their scuba regulations so I don't get hassled by the staff.

This is a problem with Two Harbors and not Avalon, and it might have been isolated.

Jim

LAJim:
I've been given flack carrying gear to Two Harbors which is usually the smaller boat with the luggage below in the front. Completely different experience from Avalon. I'm planning on carrying full gear, including tank to Two Harbors a couple times this Fall. Already decided to call the Express first and then ask for a copy of their scuba regulations so I don't get hassled by the staff.

Jim

Sorry to hear this, especially since the Santa Catalina Island Co., which owns the land at Two Harbors and operates most of the businesses, also has a dive shop there. Perhaps I should mention it to their board chairman.

Terrasmak- I think many find it easier to rent a tank while here for several reasons. I think it is just $10 per 24 hours (includes one air fill) and then $5 for each subsequent fill. Your wait for the refill is much less since you can usually just grab a filled tank from CDS rather than wait for the one you rented to go through the line.
They do not have DIN tanks though, but do give full 3,500 psi fills (well pretty full).

One think to keep in mind is that with the restrictions due to terrorism, you are now required to carry everything on board in one trip and cannot leave the boat after you've boarded. Having too much to carry in one trip poses a big problem (unless you use a hand cart like I do).

Dr. Bill:

I know some of those guys too. I'll be out there soon - let me see if it happens again before we say anything. Two Harbors is an interesting place.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom