Catalina or San Clemente

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantasscareme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've just gotten the oppertunity to take a day trip out of San Diego to either Catalina or San Clemente later this summer :D .Anyway, I've found a day boat that offers three tank trips to both locations. San Clemente is marginally closer, but travel time is really not an issue. I'm inexperienced and for certain reasons am perpetually limited to a depth of 60ft. Now, between these two sites, where's better. Assuming this will be my last dive of the year, do you recommend Catalina or San Clemente? I'd like some feedback about the diving in both places, emphasis on big stuff and marine mammals (I did the Coronados, the sea lions were there but were descidedly uninterested) and on the diving being shallow and easy to handle for someone with under 15 logged dives.
Thanks,
-Mantasscareme

SAN CLEMENTE ISLAND - consistently better vis and more interesting diving. Only problem, it belongs to the Navy and they sometimes close the island to diving - the boats go to Catalina. Pyramid Cove is like walking in a national forest.

Agree with Jim, although partly because I don't dive San Clemente as often as I dive my home island. I've enjoyed the dives I've done out there.

San Clemente - Great Vis. My only trip there we could see the anchor from the boat in 100 feet of water.

Now, if you live is San Diego, why is it going to be your last dive of the year. San Diego has terrrific year round beach diving. The best diving in Californis is usally October to January or so, storms permitting.

SAN CLEMENTE! SAN CLEMENTE! SAN CLEMENTE! I love Catalina also but if you have a choice....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom