Catalina Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

George the Greek

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Could anyone tell me what catalina Island water temp. will be this weekend (end of March)? I have a chance to dive there this weekend and am wondering if a 7mil will be warm enough?

Could anyone tell me what catalina Island water temp. will be this weekend (end of March)? I have a chance to dive there this weekend and am wondering if a 7mil will be warm enough?

A 7MM is just fine anytime of the year in Catalina, The water temp there is about 60+ at anytime I think!

Water temps dip into the low 50's for Dec-Feb and warm up from there. Currently, you'll find mid-high 50's at the surface (and a bit colder past the first couple thermoclines)

Depends on where you are diving along Catalina's 54-mile coastline. Temp can be fairly variable geographically. To what depths?

Two weekends ago I was in the dive park. Dive to 107 fsw and min temp was 58 F.

I've felt high 40s at Catalina off Ship Rock. That's drysuit territory for me. Diving in the park or other sites closer to the island will probably be fine in a 7mm.

A 7mm will be fine for a dive....but I don't know that it will necessarily be fine for multiple dives. The weather's not warm enough for you to really warm up on a surface interval....and the water is cold enough that going fairly deep will result in far less thermal protection (due to the compression of the suit).

If you're able to get yourself warmed up during the surface interval, it should be fine....but if you have the option of diving a drysuit, it will make for a much more comfortable dive. However, this is coming from someone who is constantly cold, so if you're someone who's generally warm, it may not be as big of an issue for you.

Water temps run 55-59 at this time of year, and a 7mm suit with hood and gloves is just fine. That's what most people use. You can get chilled on the boat after a dive, depending on the air temp and the sun. I recommend pulling down your wetsuit, drying yourself quickly on the boat and putting on a boat coat or equivalent. If you don't have a boat coat a thick bath robe works fine.

The picture in my avatar is me diving in Catalina, comfortable in my 5/7mm wet suit with hooded vest. Taken a few weeks ago.

Adam

I always dive a 7mm wetsuit (although in previous times it was usually full of holes) year-round here... unless I'm wearing a shortie for fun. A hood is always a good idea and a 3mm vest can make things even nicer.

Temperature at Catalina should be around mid to high 50sF by now. I'll find out in a couple of days. And yes, a 7mm wet suit will do fine even for multiple dives. I have yet to sit out on a dive because of my 7mm suit. There were a couple of times that I have chosen not to go on a third or fourth dive just because the weather was gorgeous topside and the comely lasses were sunbathing instead of diving.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom