Catalina Island (California) incident on Sunday, August 26, 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailorJoe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife bumped into some news with her scuba group about a gentleman who died after diving at Catalina Island on [Saturday - corrected from Sunday]. Here is all we know:

• A woman on the dive boat reported seeing a male diver surface.
  • He was [initially] responsive, but later was unresponsive. (correction made)
  • CPR was administered for ~20min until the US Coast Guard arrived.
  • Blood was coming from his airway.
  • He was later pronounced dead by local officials.
Not sure of the details, but I presume he ruptured a lung by surfacing too quickly. If anybody has any news, updates, lessons learned on this incident please share.

I know none of the details but saw the same post. Not that it makes a big difference but the initial post mentions the diver WAS initially responsive at the surface.

Is there a link to the story?
Apparently it did not even make the news. I was out in LA last weekend attending a paddleboard race from Avalon to Manhattan Beach and learned about it. We may need a local in the Los Angeles diving community to chime in to find out more.

We were out last Friday and Saturday on the Westerly Dive boat at Catalina.

What I can tell you is that yes, it happened more or less as described by the OP and clarified by post #2 (although I have the date as Saturday, not Sunday). This is our first SoCal fatality of the year.

- Ken

What I can tell you is that yes, it happened more or less as described by the OP and clarified by post #2 (although I have the date as Saturday, not Sunday). This is our first SoCal fatality of the year.

- Ken

Thank you for the additional details Ken. Very sad indeed to receive this confirmation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom