Cat Island, Bahamas- anyone been?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Club Med has been closed a while (during covid) and reportedly is not re-opening until fall of 2022 possibly..... we are looking at RR and are fine with and actually prefer simple, local places- we have been to quite a few of the out islands so know what to expect on land- just was getting more info about the diving for hubby (I am not a diver but plan our trips). Where you like to stay in Bonaire? thanks for replies!
Ahhh, I don't know why I thought you were looking for next year! Yes their plan is to reopen in October. Another big place for us in Bonaire i'm afraid :wink: We have been meeting up with a group we met there 15+ years ago. So they like the Plaza Resort. The dive op -Toucan - is top notch, but the place is a little sprawling for some folks.

When I dove San Sal w/ RR, the Nassau Groupers were like puppy dogs. You would see like 25-50 a dive. They would come right up to you, and if you took the regulator out of your mouth (noise), they would put their lips on your mask looking at the reflection of themselves in the glass of your mask...

When I dove San Sal w/ RR, the Nassau Groupers were like puppy dogs. You would see like 25-50 a dive. They would come right up to you, and if you took the regulator out of your mouth (noise), they would put their lips on your mask looking at the reflection of themselves in the glass of your mask...
I think it was in one of the Cayman Islands a DM showed me that the groupers would point out the lionfish! I was taking a picture of something and a big ol' grouper swam thru my legs and pointed under the ledge below me. Sure enough, lionfish! Definitely puppy dogs :wink:

Ahhh, I don't know why I thought you were looking for next year! Yes their plan is to reopen in October. Another big place for us in Bonaire i'm afraid :wink: We have been meeting up with a group we met there 15+ years ago. So they like the Plaza Resort. The dive op -Toucan - is top notch, but the place is a little sprawling for some folks.
yes, this year- long story but cancelled a planned trip elsewhere for May due to a medical issue then realized we could travel after all later in May so it is last minute but we have been to the Bahamas twice during covid, have the travel passport/know the drill and feel comfortable there so thinking it is time to tick a place off my bucket list- it has been on there for many, many years. Thanks for replies and info. Neither one of us like large places- lol, if there are more than about 6 people on the beach it is too many for us.

Reactions: mbs
I was at RR 33 years ago when it was the only game in town. Enjoyed every minute of it! I'd love to get back there some day.... I know it isn't the same....
you never know, things change slowly on the more remote out islands... you should try it. RR is still family owned by the same family and gets good reviews from people who "get" the out islands.

you never know, things change slowly on the more remote out islands...

Long, long, long before the ClubMed invasion....

SanSal and RR was just something special. The small plane trip (and riding in the co-pilot seat), the 12x12 shed for customs, the eternal ride from the airport to the RR (humor there), diving that was so easy with abundant life (monster crabs, lobsters, grouper, tremendous gorgonians, and black coral), fresh conch fritters as snacks, piling into the vehicles of the DiveOp to go into Town in the evening (I learned to play dominoes there), and the really small island funk....

My initials were in the ceiling of the "Driftwood Bar" at RR (gone now from a hurricane)....

I'm thinking I'll find change...

The small plane trip (and riding in the co-pilot seat),
Still small. Though you will probably sit in row 10 instead of row 0.

the eternal ride from the airport to the RR (humor there),
The ride on the back of the golf cart was tough.

easy with abundant life (monster crabs, lobsters, grouper, tremendous gorgonians, and black coral),
Still there.

fresh conch fritters as snacks, piling into the vehicles of the DiveOp to go into Town in the evening. and the really small island funk....
Fritters are yummy. But no trips to town because of COVID.

My initials were in the ceiling of the "Driftwood Bar" at RR
The driftwood is still there but it probably has a new coat of paint after being repaired. Most of the signatures are on shirts now.

It seems like it’s time for you to go back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom