Cascading boosters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jorge.a.mahauad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi there,

I have an idea but need some technical advice.

I one small haskell booster. The primary application is rebreather diving so the size is just enough. In some cases I also fill Al40's or even 80's with the booster as well. Ther reason why I do this is because the only supply of medical grade O2 is 1000km away and I have to manage the supply from the factory to my shop.

The booster often "stalls" at 500- 600 psi supply cylinder and 2300-2500 psi target cylinder. I know this is normal. 500 psi out of a 50L is cylinder is a considerable amount of gas. I do some continuous flow nitrox for storage with the remaining gas.

I'm getting another booster, again the small one. This are probably the only two "diving" gas boosters in the country and I rather have two small ones than one big one. A redundancy thing that goes with the $$ I have availabl for now.

As you know, a common way of filling target target cylinders and making the best our of pressure supplies is to cascade. As pressures equalize the gas supply from many cylinders is used in a more "efficient" way than if equalizing independently.

Now, here is my question:

If I connect the two boosters in line the cascade principle would be the same. Booster one will raise the supply pressure high enough for booster 2 to boost even if supply pressure is below the 500 psi. I know gas flow and volume could be an issue due to the 1:25 ratio.

Can you please advice?

Thanks,

I would just use one booster and pump into a slightly smaller "supply" cylinder. Basically turn your 500psi into 1000psi, then take the 1000psi and boost to 3000.

I am not sure 2 boosters would operate correctly "out of synch". They might, never tried it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom