Trip Report Casa Mexicana & Tres Pelicanos November 7-12, 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan, Thanks for the writeup and video. It was a pleasure to dive with you. As I don't as yet take photos or video I was able to share your video with my family to give them an idea what I am up to underwater.
Well done.

Same to you- if you have the desire and feel comfortable, I find the GoPro very easy. None of my family or friends have gotten into diving (hoping to recruit my nephew soon), so I enjoy taking video and editing to share with them.

Averaging 3-4 cruise ships a day currently, and I heard they have a few weeks in the future with 26-28 ships scheduled.

Ugh is right. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted for us divers. Guess I'll have to get used to the endless blowing of the Conch shells and the stumbling balloon head foot traffic again in town.

However, I have to say Gopbroek makes a good point... Even pre-Covid the number of cruise visitors walking the streets had been diminishing year after year while the number of ships kept increasing. The cruise lines have pretty much locked the place up pushing their paid excursions that they mark up like crazy. In town people walk off the ship and cross right over the road to be shuttled off in busses and vans lined up 20+ deep. None of them spend a cent in town and they never see it. So, us divers who actually stay on the island and walk through town continue to be targets for every shop trying to push their Authentic Mexican Made-in-China junk. Sorry, I got money for accommodations, diving and food... Tourist junk from China ain't on my must-have list.

@Redfoot - glad you had a good time. I thought Suites Colonial was open now, interesting to hear it is not. I'm scheduled to be there in mid-January, so we shall see what happens.

For the return to US Covid test, how did you do that?
Suites Colonial is open now. They reopened last month. @Redfoot was there in July and they had not reopened yet.

Suites Colonial is open now. They reopened last month. @Redfoot was there in July and they had not reopened yet.
Hows the noise level? I used to stay there a few years back and enjoyed the quiet even though it was just off the square but I noticed last week that a bar has opened next door.

Hows the noise level? I used to stay there a few years back and enjoyed the quiet even though it was just off the square but I noticed last week that a bar has opened next door.
I have not stayed there since COVID, as they have not been open until recently. I have stayed at Casa Mexicana as a result, but Suites Colonial is my preference. I was in Cozumel October 9-20 and while there was made aware that Suites Colonial would be opening the following week or the first week of November. I walked past there nearly everyday and did not notice a new bar. Maybe they opened between my stay and yours? Or it was there and I didn't notice it? I cannot imagine that it would create a huge noise issue, but you never know. Most of the rooms sit so far back off of the street, I think it will be fine. Being pedestrian only and not having car traffic is a huge incentive for staying there and keeping noise to aa minimum!

I stayed at Casa Mexicana- I had originally booked at Suites Colonial, and then was upgraded to Casa due to Colonial not being open.

I walked by Colonial the week of 11/7-11/12 and it did not appear open.

I have not stayed there since COVID, as they have not been open until recently. I have stayed at Casa Mexicana as a result, but Suites Colonial is my preference. I was in Cozumel October 9-20 and while there was made aware that Suites Colonial would be opening the following week or the first week of November. I walked past there nearly everyday and did not notice a new bar. Maybe they opened between my stay and yours? Or it was there and I didn't notice it? I cannot imagine that it would create a huge noise issue, but you never know. Most of the rooms sit so far back off of the street, I think it will be fine. Being pedestrian only and not having car traffic is a huge incentive for staying there and keeping noise to aa minimum!
I am currently in Coz, staying at Casa Mexicana. I have walked by Suites Colonial many times over the past week; it has not yet opened. I just spoke with staff at Casa Mex; they indicated Suites Colonial may open later in December, but no date is confirmed.

I am currently in Coz, staying at Casa Mexicana. I have walked by Suites Colonial many times over the past week; it has not yet opened. I just spoke with staff at Casa Mex; they indicated Suites Colonial may open later in December, but no date is confirmed.
Thanks for that update and letting us know

Enjoy your trip. Hope you get some good dives in and eat your weight in tacos!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom