Trip Report Casa Mexicana & Tres Pelicanos November 7-12, 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redfoot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Had a great trip last week, really enjoyed my first dives around Cozumel.

Thanks to all of SB for advice, tips and recommendations.

I flew Southwest Detroit-Houston-Cozumel on 7/5/2021, leaving DTW at 6:55 AM and arriving to CZM at 3:00 PM. I had not flown SW in a few years (normally Delta customer) but I got a Business Select ticket for around $400 round trip. I had a credit from a Coz trip I had to cancel in 2020, so I just added a little extra cash and was extremely happy with Southwest. All flights were on time, staff was great, planes were clean, baggage arrived quickly and 3 of the flights were not full, so I had empty seats near me.

I booked the hotel and dive package through Tres Pelicanos, Jeanie was awesome to work with. Originally, Casa Mexicana was full, so I booked at Suites Colonial. About a week later, Jeanie emailed and said Colonial was not open, and I would be upgraded to Casa Mexicana. I had a fifth floor city view room, very clean and quiet with strong AC, small balcony, mini-fridge, comfortable bed and plenty of room. Included Breakfast was great, although one day I was only "allowed" to have toast, coffee (one cup) and fruit. I was told it was because I was supposed to stay at Colonial. I offered to pay the difference for full buffet, but they said no. No problem, I got snacks/coffee at 7-11 and was on my way.

Diving was awesome. It was a little rough on Monday, but Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were very nice. I did 16 dives in 4 days. 2 tank morning trip, then the boat dropped the afternoon divers at Money Bar for lunch around noon, and returned at 1:30 to pick up for the afternoon 2 tank dives. Money Bar was a perfect lunch spot, I enjoyed their food, Starbucks coffee and friendly service with nice views.

I thought the afternoon dives were always superior to the morning. I think less traffic on the reefs allowed more opportunities for animal encounters. I had the best turtle, ray and shark action on the afternoon dives. Some highlights were Eagle Rays on Paradise and Yukab, huge stationary Hawksbill turtles at Columbia Shallows and Palancar Gardens, school of Blacktip Sharks off of Columbia wall (deep) and some really cool smaller Hawksbill turtles munching on coral that allowed me to hang out for a few minutes and watch. My favorite dive was an afternoon on Cedral Shallows, where the entire dive was non-stop action. 6-8 turtles, nurse sharks, free swimming morays, huge schools of fish, stingrays and some huge lobsters. One lady did her OW certification on that dive, and we were all telling her how incredible of an opportunity that was.

The DM's I had (Jose and George) were great, I really liked diving with them. Both boat captains were also excellent, and we never waited more than a couple of minutes for a pickup on the surface.

Dining out for dinner, I went to:
Kondesa (good food, GREAT churros)
Colores Sabores (my favorite, right around corner from Casa. Fish tacos were A+++. Avocado Sauce served with chips was incredible)
Cielito (Very good Mole, excellent Mayan Fish dish and tasty churros)
Casa Dennis (Very glad I went here- felt more authentic and the food was awesome)

I liked having the 7-11 right next door to hotel. I bought drinks and snacks here for the mini-fridge in room

I enjoyed walking around town, bought a few rash guards as gifts, as well as a little carved onyx and turquoise turtle for our turtle collection. Haggled a bit on everything, but did not mind overpaying a little to stimulate the local economy.

When I go back, I will try Scuba Club or Blue Angel as I would like to have direct water/boat access and be a little further away from town.

Here is the video I made of highlights from the trip!

Had a great trip last week, really enjoyed my first dives around Cozumel.

Thanks to all of SB for advice, tips and recommendations.

I flew Southwest Detroit-Houston-Cozumel on 7/5/2021, leaving DTW at 6:55 AM and arriving to CZM at 3:00 PM. I had not flown SW in a few years (normally Delta customer) but I got a Business Select ticket for around $400 round trip. I had a credit from a Coz trip I had to cancel in 2020, so I just added a little extra cash and was extremely happy with Southwest. All flights were on time, staff was great, planes were clean, baggage arrived quickly and 3 of the flights were not full, so I had empty seats near me.

I booked the hotel and dive package through Tres Pelicanos, Jeanie was awesome to work with. Originally, Casa Mexicana was full, so I booked at Suites Colonial. About a week later, Jeanie emailed and said Colonial was not open, and I would be upgraded to Casa Mexicana. I had a fifth floor city view room, very clean and quiet with strong AC, small balcony, mini-fridge, comfortable bed and plenty of room. Included Breakfast was great, although one day I was only "allowed" to have toast, coffee (one cup) and fruit. I was told it was because I was supposed to stay at Colonial. I offered to pay the difference for full buffet, but they said no. No problem, I got snacks/coffee at 7-11 and was on my way.

Diving was awesome. It was a little rough on Monday, but Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were very nice. I did 16 dives in 4 days. 2 tank morning trip, then the boat dropped the afternoon divers at Money Bar for lunch around noon, and returned at 1:30 to pick up for the afternoon 2 tank dives. Money Bar was a perfect lunch spot, I enjoyed their food, Starbucks coffee and friendly service with nice views.

I thought the afternoon dives were always superior to the morning. I think less traffic on the reefs allowed more opportunities for animal encounters. I had the best turtle, ray and shark action on the afternoon dives. Some highlights were Eagle Rays on Paradise and Yukab, huge stationary Hawksbill turtles at Columbia Shallows and Palancar Gardens, school of Blacktip Sharks off of Columbia wall (deep) and some really cool smaller Hawksbill turtles munching on coral that allowed me to hang out for a few minutes and watch. My favorite dive was an afternoon on Cedral Shallows, where the entire dive was non-stop action. 6-8 turtles, nurse sharks, free swimming morays, huge schools of fish, stingrays and some huge lobsters. One lady did her OW certification on that dive, and we were all telling her how incredible of an opportunity that was.

The DM's I had (Jose and George) were great, I really liked diving with them. Both boat captains were also excellent, and we never waited more than a couple of minutes for a pickup on the surface.

Dining out for dinner, I went to:
Kondesa (good food, GREAT churros)
Colores Sabores (my favorite, right around corner from Casa. Fish tacos were A+++. Avocado Sauce served with chips was incredible)
Cielito (Very good Mole, excellent Mayan Fish dish and tasty churros)
Casa Dennis (Very glad I went here- felt more authentic and the food was awesome)

I liked having the 7-11 right next door to hotel. I bought drinks and snacks here for the mini-fridge in room

I enjoyed walking around town, bought a few rash guards as gifts, as well as a little carved onyx and turquoise turtle for our turtle collection. Haggled a bit on everything, but did not mind overpaying a little to stimulate the local economy.

When I go back, I will try Scuba Club or Blue Angel as I would like to have direct water/boat access and be a little further away from town.

Here is the video I made of highlights from the trip!

Thanks for a Great Dive report. Coz is on my bucket list, so maybe one day. Be safe

I did 16 dives in 4 days.
Thank you for taking the time to write up a great report!.

Were all 16 tanks on Nitrox or some air also, cause that is some back to back diving?? I'd need a vacation from that busy vacation, lol.
I really liked your editing on the video and loved the eagle ray and that sweet blue viz.
Thanks again for posting it!!!

Thank you for taking the time to write up a great report!.

Were all 16 tanks on Nitrox or some air also, cause that is some back to back diving?? I'd need a vacation from that busy vacation, lol.
I really liked your editing on the video and loved the eagle ray and that sweet blue viz.
Thanks again for posting it!!!

Thank you!

I forgot to add, I dove Nitrox all week. I slept like a baby every night. 4 dives in this format tired me out much more than 5 dives/day on a liveaboard. I went on this trip solo, and the goal was to dive, dive, dive.

Nitrox Fills were erratic, anywhere from 30% to 36%, but consistently 3200 psi.

I adjusted my computer as needed.

Hoping to go back early next year for a full week and then will take some time off to explore more of the island, maybe do some of the tours offered or take the ferry to Playa.

I slept like a baby every night. 4 dives in this format tired me out much more than 5 dives/day on a liveaboard.
It's not just you. When I was there a few years back, 4 dives/day knocked me out. I'd get back to the room okay, shower, go eat, get my camera battery on the charger, do a little e-mailing, lay down and soon...out hard

Later, on a live-aboard in the Galapagos, I was surprised at how much difference using pangas made. 4 Dives/day using pangas seemed to wear me down more than 5 dives/day on Carribbean live-aboards diving off the main vessel.

My favorite dive was an afternoon on Cedral Shallows, where the entire dive was non-stop action. 6-8 turtles, nurse sharks, free swimming morays, huge schools of fish, stingrays and some huge lobsters. One lady did her OW certification on that dive, and we were all telling her how incredible of an opportunity that was.
Sounds like an awesome experience for her; on a negative note, it may be hard for future dives to measure up.

What? I thought guests of it's sisters Colonial and Bahia were supposed to have breakfast access at CM? You said "one day" so does that mean you had a normal breakfast the otehr days? Different workers?

I appreciate you taking the time to write up your trip and put together your videos! Enjoyed both! Thank you!

What? I thought guests of it's sisters Colonial and Bahia were supposed to have breakfast access at CM? You said "one day" so does that mean you had a normal breakfast the otehr days? Different workers?

Yes, that is what I thought and understood as well, that I had full breakfast privilege as a "sister resort" guest, even though neither resort was open, and I was physically staying at Casa Mexicana. I later found out I had a different colored wristband that branded me as not worthy of waffles :)

Also correct that it was only one day where I had any issue. The staff member who denied me the buffet was present all days I ate breakfast, but only said something the one day. Honestly, for that to be the worst thing that happened the whole trip, I have zero complaints and could care less. I would have happily paid the $9 for full breakfast, as it made the morning so easy.

@Redfoot - glad you had a good time. I thought Suites Colonial was open now, interesting to hear it is not. I'm scheduled to be there in mid-January, so we shall see what happens.

For the return to US Covid test, how did you do that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom