Carrying OMS dye marker tube?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elgoog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi -

I have a trip to the Maldives coming up and I bought the OMS dye marker tube with the thought that for dives in current it may be useful to have an additional safety tool on me (in addition to 3' DSMB, 6' safety sausage, whistle, mirror). It's probably overkill but it was only a few $ and I figured I would get it to check it out.

I just got it today and it is not at all what I expected. I thought it would be a sealed tube that you had to crack open in an emergency but it's simply a plastic tube with a screw on cap. It doesn't look at all waterproof and I can't imagine how it would not leak underwater - this is the last thing I want.

How are divers carrying this during dives? Not where but how - I have pocket shorts and plenty of room in there to carry it but am interested if divers are double bagging it or something along those lines to prevent it from leaking inadvertently.

Thanks in advance,
elgoog

I have no experience with dye markers, even though I dive in remote areas with difficult currents.

They are only of use for helicopter searches. If your situation is that bad you should be carrying plenty of fresh water too.

Having dived the Maldives, and Indonesia as well as my local area which is just as bad but (less surface support) I suggest the following:

dsmb - 6' and inflate it fully. Often people think it's cool to inflate it from the exhaust valve of their reg. a couple of inches of dsmb on the surface in 6' rollers is as much use as a chocolate fire guard

A Dive alert (or similar) air horn

Strobe light for dusk or (heavens forbid) night

For the record, I've been swept off the reef a couple of times (when guided) Having a 6' dsmb that fully inflated you can wave above your head and an air horn does get the boats attention.

Have you checked if the dye marker is allowed on your flight (do you have a chemical list?) If I were to carry one I'd certainly double bag it in a ziploc but personally for me I'd not carry one in the Maldives because the diving is quite safe and well organised.

Hi -

I have a trip to the Maldives coming up and I bought the OMS dye marker tube with the thought that for dives in current it may be useful to have an additional safety tool on me (in addition to 3' DSMB, 6' safety sausage, whistle, mirror). It's probably overkill but it was only a few $ and I figured I would get it to check it out.

I just got it today and it is not at all what I expected. I thought it would be a sealed tube that you had to crack open in an emergency but it's simply a plastic tube with a screw on cap. It doesn't look at all waterproof and I can't imagine how it would not leak underwater - this is the last thing I want.

How are divers carrying this during dives? Not where but how - I have pocket shorts and plenty of room in there to carry it but am interested if divers are double bagging it or something along those lines to prevent it from leaking inadvertently.

Thanks in advance,
elgoog

I have read that people put this in their canister along with the PLB.

Great info! Thanks!

They are only of use for helicopter searches. If your situation is that bad you should be carrying plenty of fresh water too.
I read about the dye being useful only for aerial searches. I'm relying on the other devices more so than this - honestly, I bought it out as much out of curiosity as intending to carry it.

Have you checked if the dye marker is allowed on your flight (do you have a chemical list?)
Did not even think of this and, at this point, I've pretty much decided not to take it with me.

dsmb - 6' and inflate it fully. Strobe light for dusk or (heavens forbid) night
Ah, I already have both and just realized the 6 footer has an attachment point for a strobe at the top as well.

A Dive alert (or similar) air horn
I carry a Storm whistle which is pretty loud but will look at these also. Most of them look like they attach inline with the inflator and I would prefer not to do this. Do they also work just connected to a QR LP port? My singles rig has a drysuit hose which I leave connected and the idea would be that I would keep the horn in a pocket and only pull it out and connect it to this hose when needed.

There are lots of LOBs operating in the Maldives. I imagine that they all have marine radio. The Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS should be the perfect signalling device of last resort for your trip. If should not be too many $$$ for someone who can afford to go to the Maldives.

FWIW, I was on a LOB there a couple of months back and I saw that DMs on the LOB were carrying the Nautilus Lifeline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom