Trip Report Carpe Vita Real Time Review: March 7-18, 2021 Trip to Maldives Deep South

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first time hooking in to watch the shark parade, I looked to my immediate right and saw a little shark parked beside me in the current. We eyed one another warily but decided neither of us was a danger to the other. So I looked away to watch the parade. A few minutes later, I looked back to see my little shark buddy, only to find that he'd been replaced by a significantly larger shark who was even closer to me.

I was more concerned about the bigger shark and we eyeballs one another for what seemed like quite awhile. Eventually, I looked back to the parade and when it was time to unhook, the bigger shark was gone.
Wow! That never happened to me. How long ago was it? There must be more Sharks then.

Wow! That never happened to me. How long ago was it? There must be more Sharks then.

From your video, I would say there were more sharks but I can't verify that I was at the same site that you were.

I have been on the same site at least 3 times but that was the only time that I was hooked in first in the line of all the other divers.

It was quite an experience and I have had a few with sharks over the years.

From your video, I would say there were more sharks but I can't verify that I was at the same site that you were.

I have been on the same site at least 3 times but that was the only time that I was hooked in first in the line of all the other divers.

It was quite an experience and I have had a few with sharks over the years.
Kandus in Deep South Atolls have certainly more Sharks than the Central (Ari, Male, etc.) Atolls, at least from my limited visits (once in Deep South & twice in Central). If I ever get the itch to return to Maldives, I’ll spend a couple of days in Fuvahmulah.

Day 9
Dive 25 was at Rangali Madivaru, SW of Ari Atoll. A 3rd Manta cleaning station & it’s not disappointing. We saw 4 of them in 100 ft visibility, including Manila Ray & Whitetip Reef Shark.

Bottom depth was 61 ft with 74 min dive time.
Here’s the video of the diving there. Seeing those Oceanic Mantas were such a soothing experience. What magnificent creatures they are.

Did that tiger take off with ”something” :)
I think it got a carcass of Trevally or Jack from the pit where Fuvahmulah Dive School guide dumped their goodies into for their guests to see the Tiger Sharks up closed, as shown in the video, below.

Hi Dan, great trip report! And thanks for sharing your videos!

I'm heading to the Maldives in September. My longest trip yet. (Beating out the Philippines for the longest single flight and Palau for longest overall travel time.) Flying from San Francisco to Doha to Male. Any tips for surviving the long flight? :)

Thanks!

Hi Dan, great trip report! And thanks for sharing your videos!

I'm heading to the Maldives in September. My longest trip yet. (Beating out the Philippines for the longest single flight and Palau for longest overall travel time.) Flying from San Francisco to Doha to Male. Any tips for surviving the long flight? :)

Thanks!
I would try to get as much sleep as possible while on the long-haul flight (my longest flight was from Houston to Sydney ~ 17 hours on Boeing 787). I usually get myself comfortable before getting to sleep. I’d take my shoes off and put on a slippers if the flight provides them. Get myself sleepy, like taking a Benadryl and watching several movies / reading a book until I doze off.

If I were not in business class, I would pick a window seat to lean on while sleeping. Before going to sleep, I put travel pillow around my neck (to avoid stiff neck later), wear sleeping blind and earplugs on or whatever it takes to get me to sleep.

After waking up for a meal, do #1 or 2, walk up & down the aisle, do some stretching in some more open area, like next to exit / lavatory.

Then, return to my seat and repeat the cycle of watching more movies or reading books, sleeping, waking up, eating, doing #1 or 2, stretching.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom