Carpe Vita Explorer ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys, I was on the Carpe Vita last month, - I was invited to go and check it out on a FAM trip. I wrote a comprehensive review of the liveaboard's amenities here on my site Divehappy:
MV Carpe Vita - Maldives Liveaboard Review - Dive Happy

If you can't be bothered to go and read the report, the summary is that it is an excellent boat - very well run, organised and thought out. I don't think those on this thread going on Carpe Vita soon will be disappointed.

I've been to the Maldives several times and previously on MV Orion and Sachika which are both great boats - and Carpe Vita is definitely up there with them as one of the premier boats in the Maldives. If you have comments or suggestions for inclusions on my review, you're very welcome to post comments here or on the web page - I'd like the review to be as honest and balanced as possible, which means it needs more than just my opinion.

Enjoy! - Chris

Chris ... thank you for the review. Can you give us an idea about the diving policy? What I mean by that is I'm not a big fan of "group" diving. I generally prefer a dive guide only as someone who can help find critters, based on knowledge of habitat ... and otherwise prefer doing my own dive. I've also been on boats that specify maximum time limits. If there are such, can you describe what they are?

As an example of what I'm asking for ... my last liveaboard experience was the Pelagian, in Indonesia ... they had a maximum-time policy of 70 minutes ... and as divers got low on air they went to the surface as a buddy team, while the remaining divers in the group continued the dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hi Bob - very good question and I will update my review to include the info. To answer your question - max dive time is 60 minutes, and max depth is 30 metres (the depth is the enforced legal limit everywhere in Maldives, not the personal decision of the boat operator). You can push the dives a bit longer but given the dhoni has to pick everyone up before it can return to the Carpe Vita it's a bit rude to go for more than a few minutes over 60 minutes. We did push it a bit at Rengali Madivaru where we had some spectacular manta encounters at relative shallow depth - 15 metres - and my buddy and I stayed down for 75 mins. I simply couldn't go away early from four mantas circling us with near perfect viz! No one complained to us about it, but I guess if we'd done it more than once it would have been an issue.

There were three guides on the boat and groups are nominally split up to go amongst them after the checkout. My buddy and I are both experienced and know the Maldives waters quite well, so they were happy to let us wander off away from the main group. I am by nature a very cautious diver and so I like to be in visual contact with the group, even if they are quite far away.

Hope this helps,
Chris

PS I will upload and post the link to my manta pix soon - they are quite nice. I think you'll visit Rengali Madivaru for sure on your upcoming trip

Edit - d'oh - forgot I'd uploaded the Rengali Madivaru Manta Rays already to my gallery -- hope you enjoy

Last edited:
Nice boat and pics!!! Cant wait for Oct!!! Im on the boat the week of the 9th.
Drool.....

Can any one share the experience on the above vessel? Plan to be there with my wife next Feb

When in February are you going? We'll be there Jan 30 - Feb 08, I believe ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My BF and I are booked on the Carpe Vita for the week of August 14th, is anyone else going that week?

We're following it up with a week at Kuramathi and hoping to see the hammerheads. We're really excited for our first trip to the Maldives! Thanks DiveHappy for the great review! We'll post a report on the liveaboard and resort upon our return.

I know this breaks your heart but it looks like we'll miss each other by just two weeks :D

Actually, it would've been interesting to meet in person ... but since we'll miss each other, let me just say "have a great trip". I know I plan to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, we will be on the boat beginning on 2/9 making the trip in the opposite direction! I know we're really looking forward to it as it will be our first live aboard vacation!

Bob, we will be on the boat beginning on 2/9 making the trip in the opposite direction! I know we're really looking forward to it as it will be our first live aboard vacation!

Perhaps we'll cross paths as I'm ending my trip, and you're beginning yours ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom