Carmen del Playa or Cozmel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am going to be taking a cruise in april that will be stopping in Carmen del Playa and Cozmel. I was wondering if anyone in here had been diving in either or both of those locations? If i were to dive one of them which place would you recommend and what dive shop did you use? Is there any shore diving in these locations or is it all done off of a boat?

av8er23:
I am going to be taking a cruise in april that will be stopping in Carmen del Playa and Cozmel. I was wondering if anyone in here had been diving in either or both of those locations? If i were to dive one of them which place would you recommend and what dive shop did you use? Is there any shore diving in these locations or is it all done off of a boat?

.......Dive with Martin does a good job catering to the cruise ship visitors.

Good Diving,

Dave

Dove in Playa del Carmen two different times. Had a good time and the dive shop I used did a good job.

My wife and I will be making our 15th trip to Cozumel the first week of April. For us Cozumel has more of the type diving we're looking for.

I think there is somewhere around 50 plus dive operations in Cozumel. The bad ones for the most part are pretty much weeded out due to stiff competition and excellent service provided by the other shops.

My recommendation is to find an operation that takes smaller groups. We have dove on the big boats and just have a better time when there are 2 to 6 people on the boat.

Because you're coming in on a ship you will probably not be able to get off the ship until most all of the dive boats have made they first runs of the day. If you book ahead of time there probably should not be a problem in picking you up at the closest hotel pier.

Here are two that we highly recommend:
Living Underwater
Liquid Blue

Have dove with both several times and they do an excellent job.

A regular poster here is Christi who owns Blue XT Sea. I met her in Cozumel but never had the chance to dive with her operation.

Whoever you decide on email these folks ahead of time and work out the fine points like pickup times and places.

You can normally do a good two tank dive and be back to your ship in plenty of time to shower and do a little shopping downtown.

Jim

Be sure and email your sh

av8er23:

I have done both as recent as last year and Cozumel would be my choice if I had to pick one. Also, PDC would be more time consuming for you to get there and back. I think most ships park in Coz and ferry passengers to PDC.

Unless you know what time you can get off the ship, I would suggest afternoon dives. Probably done by 4:30. Use the morning for a trip to town or a beach(club). Afternoon dives may be easier to book on the fly.

I used Papa Hogs dive shop. About 10 mins. from downtown or cruise ship piers.

I do suggest contacting the shops for specifics, ie. check-in time.

I have dove both numerous times.as recently as Jan 3rd. On the cruises EDDS will work with you on the times you can get off the ship. And just about anyone in Playa but remember you will likely port in Calica and it is a taxi ride to Playa Del Carmen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom