Carl Edmonds, Md, A Giant In Diving Medicine, Retires At Age 80.+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocVikingo

Rest in Peace
Reaction score
"Diving Hyperb Med. 2016 Mar;46(1):59.

Vale Carl Edmonds.

Abstract

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all my diving medical colleagues, and my fellow divers, for their generous help and comradeship over the last 50 years. I have now retired from active medical practice in this my octogenarian year and with diminishing vision and slower synapsing of the little grey cells. Snorkelling is now my thing. I have donated my library (i.e., my research resource) to the Hyperbaric Unit in Hobart, and also no longer have secretarial access. All I have to offer now are anecdotes and experience - a euphemism for remembered mistakes! - and then only over a glass or two of wine. My previous overviews of diving medicine, international, Australasian and personal, were described in the SPUMS Journal. Most of my research, reviews and lectures were also reported there and my admiration abounds for this publication (now Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine) and its editors. 2015 was my swan song. I updated our free internet text, Diving Medicine for Scuba Divers, on the www.divingmedicine.info site. There is no copyright, so please use it as you wish. Informative chapters can be downloaded for specific patients. With the assistance of Mike Bennett, John Lippmann and Simon Mitchell, we published the fifth edition of Diving and Subaquatic Medicine - a best seller for 40 years! My greatest satisfaction of 2015 came as we finally comprehended the conundrum of scuba divers, pulmonary oedema (SDPE), after more than a decade of analysing detailed case histories, investigations and experiments. I agree with Charles Dent and Oliver Sacks - our patients teach us more than our surveys and statistics. Thank you all."

You go, Carl.

Cheers,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom