Caribbean Vacation Next Year With Mostly Non-Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP, I hope you and the family have a great trip to Jamaica! Cayman is very pricey, especially on the 7MB, but resort hotels like the Westin can be very expensive and they charge daily resort fees.

The Wyndham Reef is very nice but it may not be as desirable for the non-divers because it is about a 45 min to an hour drive to 7MB and many of the island's most popular attractions; but if they are just looking for a place to relax in the sun then it is fine, and there are a few nice restaurants and things to do on the East End.

If your group decides to head back to Cayman some day, or just you and your wife, it would be best to book a condo or an apartment. You can find 1,2, and 3 bedroom condos and some are on 7MB (and others are not) but many have daily maid service except Sunday. We go to a lovely spot that is 10 to 12 miles from George Town and 7MB and we are on the beach but it's not the 7MB, but there is snorkeling right outside and it works well for us and much cheaper than a venue like the Westin.

We don't look for an AI on GC because there is no need, there are lots of restaurants, grocery stores, and it is safe and easy to travel around the island. When we go to the sister islands of Cayman Brac and Little Cayman we prefer to stay at a small, diver-dedicated all-inclusive because it is easy and there aren't many choices for restaurants or groceries, but it is still safe to travel around all the Cayman islands.

Whichever Cayman island you pick, eating out 3 times a day is very expensive, so it is good to have the option to prepare some of your own simple meals and eat out part of the time, or go for one of the few all-inclusive dive resorts.

I wish you well with your trip. For the benefit of others who may stumble upon this thread later, let me mention that checking into 7MB options in GC, I learned Sunshine Suites is across from the Westin, much cheaper and you can use Westin facilities. It's across the road, technically not oceanfront. Comfort Suites is also on 7MB, also a 'budget' option, and considering a possible 'scuba trip disguised as a family vacation' someday, I was really torn between the 2. So, 7MB can be done cheaper. Roundtrip airfare for GC is often pretty good.

I also have a non-diving spouse and (until recently) non-diving kids and kids-in-law. We used to do Caribbean cruises and AI resorts for our family trips, and I would sneak away for a couple of dives. A few years ago my wife and I rented a condo on SMB just to try it out - and to give me a chance to get in a few more dives. As KathyV and others have said, GC itself is an AI resort. My wife found plenty to do, and loved the place. We ended up doing a few full-family vacations there renting a condo each time, and enjoyed it so much we eventually bought a place on GC. Now we can't keep our formerly non-diving kids and their spouses/boyfriends away. My kids recently finally did a discovery dive with one of the many great dive ops on the island and now they are no longer non-divers. I've worked my wife up to snorkler on the many days the ocean is calm as a lake, but diving is not in her future. She has no problem, however, keeping busy there. Enjoy your vacation wherever you go, but definitely keep GC in mind for the future.

So...since "I" (Sue) am the non-diving spouse, and have taken a bunch of trips like this with my non-diving kids and diver-hubby, I agree with the others that a condo (and a rental car) are definitely the way to go. We've done plenty of trips over the years and have found that to be the best way for our family. Not that I am particularly opposed to AI, but in general, prefer some restaurants, and some 'at home' cooking (in a condo); particularly if hubby is diving a full day and doesn't particularly want to do much more than relax when he gets back. Also we find eating local to be so much more fun that any AI. To the OP, hope you love Jamaica; we did Sandals many years ago. I remember the beautiful beach ... but it was only snorkeling for me. Next time, consider Cayman Brac; our favorite... you never know, it might be yours too. Or make it a combo trip of GC and one of the sister islands. Regardless, have fun!

Thanks all. I'll definitely consider the condo route for a future GC trip. From what I've read and what I'm hearing from everyone here, there are enough good places to eat on GC that AI really is unnecessary. I seriously doubt we'll do any cooking. I've long been a believer that if someone has to cook, it becomes less of a vacation for them. I realize of course that there are some people who love to cook. So there are exceptions. However, I think most of my family prefers simply eating out during vacation.

When we do get to GC, I'd like to do at least two trips there with one stay on the east end on one on the west end for comparison. While there's more to do on SMB and the west end of the island, the east end of the island definitely seems more laid back (more my style). It also seems that diving the east end of the island is a lot different than diving the west end. At least from the SB threads I've followed on GC.

I've read that Ocean Frontiers, praised by others on the forum, can offer 2 2-tank boat trips in a day. Perhaps you could dedicate one day to go do that? GC's a pretty big island; unless your family wants to explore the east end, the commute over a couple days could eat into your time. Maybe there's a day's worth of stuff they want to do that you don't?

I suggest that because I, too, am 'the diver' on some family trips trying to balance diving against the potential wifely guilt trip for not spending more time with our family (whom I think I can spend time with back home, whereas I can't dive in the ocean back home...).

Some people's idea of 'cooking' is nuking a microwave pizza or bowl of soup. In Bonaire, I've found PB&J makes a fine lunch; get a can of no added sugar fruit cocktail to go with it if you wish. But that's traveling alone; family's tend to be higher maintenance.

Richard.

Thanks all. I'll definitely consider the condo route for a future GC trip. From what I've read and what I'm hearing from everyone here, there are enough good places to eat on GC that AI really is unnecessary. I seriously doubt we'll do any cooking. I've long been a believer that if someone has to cook, it becomes less of a vacation for them. I realize of course that there are some people who love to cook. So there are exceptions. However, I think most of my family prefers simply eating out during vacation...

That's fine and it's up to you. I don't go on vacation to cook either, but eating out 3 times a day is expensive and it uses up a lot of vacation time IMO. It's pretty easy to prepare a bowl or cereal or a quick sandwich and be on your way, and then have a lovely restaurant meal once a day. And it is nice to prepare some of your own cocktails and enjoy them barefoot on the beach or balcony in front of your secluded condo.

That's fine and it's up to you. I don't go on vacation to cook either, but eating out 3 times a day is expensive and it uses up a lot of vacation time IMO. It's pretty easy to prepare a bowl or cereal or a quick sandwich and be on your way, and then have a lovely restaurant meal once a day. And it is nice to prepare some of your own cocktails and enjoy them barefoot on the beach or balcony in front of your secluded condo.

Good point. I don't really consider getting a bowl of cereal or making a sandwich cooking per se. So, I didn't really think of those. My wife and I are at the point in our lives that it's not uncommon for us to slap together a PB&J sandwich when we already had plans to go out to a restaurant for a meal. So, no doubt that would be within the realm of what we'd be willing to do. You also make a good point in that it's often much less stressful to sometimes simply sit on the balcony and enjoy the sunset while sipping a cocktail as opposed to trudging out to a restaurant and dealing with the crowds. Especially after a long day or for those of us who aren't big on crowds. So, thanks for that perspective.

I was about to say the same. While I love to cook, I don't usually want to spend a lot of time doing it on vacation. It doesn't help that no matter how nice a rental is, I'll never have all the equipment I'm used to, or want to buy all the spices and other ingredients I have in the frig at home just to use a tablespoon of it. But while I almost always want to go out for a nice dinner, I often don't have or want to take the time to go for breakfast or lunch. If we're not at a dive resort that includes breakfast (so you can make the morning boat!) it's quick to have a bowl of cereal or whip up some eggs. At lunchtime, I'd rather have something easy in the kitchen (often leftovers from some nights dinner) while relaxing rather than sitting in some restaurant someplace. And having a fridge stocked with cold beverages, and real glasses to drink them from, is always nice. Many benefits to margaritas on the balcony over going someplace for them.

So, my wife and I decided to take our son and daughter (and their new spouses) on a family vacation next year. Currently, I am the only diver in the family. My daughter and son-in-law are maybes and my son is a maybe. Wife and daughter-in-law definitely not.

First and foremost, it's a family vacation with diving for me (and others who may cert before then or during the trip). My wife declared wherever we stayed had to have a beach and everyone wanted AI (I'm okay with AI for a first family vacation). Anyway, I was leaning toward GC but, even though a lot of the places on Seven Mile Beach come up during a search for AI resorts, apparently none of them actually are (according to my travel agent). I'm told that the only resorts on GC that are AI are the dive resorts. Ultimately, it caused me to rule out GC for this first family vacation (I will go there eventually even if it's on my own). So, we ended up booking one of the Sandals on Jamaica. One of the attractions for me was that the Sandals include scuba (instruction is extra).

So, the first question is, are the dive resorts the only resorts on GC that are AI?

Second, how is the diving out of the Sandals resorts on Jamaica? (specifically Sandals South Coast which used to be Sandals Whitehouse)

Thanks.
Beaches in Providenciales,Turks and Caicos is all inclusive and they have scuba on site with their own boats. Diving in TCI is quite good. IMO the reef wall architecture is more interesting, varied and striking in GC, but in Providenciales I had far more big barracuda and shark sightings (reef sharks)....pretty much every dive. The family gets the best (as often rated by travel sites) beach in the Caribbean.... really long and the sand is white, very fine and clean.

Back
Top Bottom