Cargo Wreck with Colombo Divers, Sri Lanka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandys1

Registered
Reaction score
Being in India, it is very difficult to find good diving schedules (really starved) - Andamans and Lakshadweep are excellent , but they are more expensive to go to from Delhi.. than say Thailand.

Since the war ended, I have had my eye on Sri Lanka as a good, inexpensive place to fly to for diving. I hooked up with Nishan (on scubaboard) for any clues about diving in Sri Lanka. Turns out that he has his diving joint - Colombo Divers - on Lavinia beach, near colombo.
Besides doing his ph.d. on sea horses, he turned out to be an awesome guy to talk to for advice on diving - I really appreciated him calling up a couple of places for me to find out schedules.

Having 4 days for diving, I did not want to end up being in Colombo (the capital city) all the time. so I scheduled going to Hikkaduwa (a popular surfing/diving place in the south of SL) and then spending a day or two in Colombo with Nishan.

Well, the sea turned out to be unfortunate for me - I could not dive for 2 days. I really wanted to dive "The Rangoon" - an old 1863 ship near Hikkaduwa.

I ended up going to Colombo sooner than I wanted, in the hope of getting some good dives there.

Colombo Divers is a new-ish dive shop with well maintained equipment and a very cool vibe. Some of them are involved in marine research and still others train the military. I dont think I met anyone there with less than 2000 dives. The two divemasters who came with us on my diving sessions were Shaf (a gruff Bob Marley) and Yohan (almost Yoda-like!).

I dived twice with them at the Cargo Wreck - their favorite dive site (and now I guess mine too!). Suffice to say it took my breath away - I particularly remember a view in an enclosed space which looked like a mini oasis in the middle of the sea.
Each time I saw sting rays, which had made the wreck their home and loads of other fish and some macro.

I think it is a great place for people from India to go on a quick trip to dive. Prices for courses are a wee bit more expensive than thailand (surprising) - but in general on the very affordable side.

Dive prices vary with the dive sites (as is the case with most places in Sri Lanka), so I suggest people check by email first.
I had a great time with Nishan, Shaf and Yohan - cant wait for when I can go back!

Thanks for the Info. I will be moving to India in a couple months and will be looking for dive sites in the area. :)

Back
Top Bottom