Career in Underwater Welding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SHOCKING!!! actually the first rule taught....

Yes, the first rule. But the loudest words I've ever heard yelled were, "Make it cold!" Poor Bastard....he also got pecked on the testicles by a duck later. As the song "Disco Duck" was popular at the time, he acquired the name. DESCO Duck.....only guys in the industry savvy that one. :D

If you don't want to go offshore. Try looking into the dockbuilders union in you area. I know in the northeast about 90% of all inland diving work is these guys. They can point you in the right direction for the schools they want you to go to plus you get to learn the how to be a dockbuilder at the same time so when there is no diving work you still can get work as a dockbuilder. Alot of the union also have there own schools.

Under water welding is not the same as traditional one, your skills should be sharpen, and it is possible only when proper training has been provided by welding school you are in. Get the knowledge from experience welders and then try it yourself.

I do not see how you can do this safely without being a commercial diver for all the reasons stated above. The job pays well but there is not enough work for you to do this full time so you will spend a lot of time doing other diving work in between. The good news is that you already know the hardest part of that job and now just need to learn the diving part. The only divers I ever meet who could not swim were a couple of underwater welders. They became underwater welders because it was easier to teach a good welder to dive then it was to teach a diver to be a good welder.

Sizeable percentage of commercial divers who wind up dead are burners. Vent your work piece before starting the cut. Trapped Hydrogen and oxygen pockets react badly to a spark :wink:

Vent your cut at the top and weld with your mouth open if you have fillings. I damn near bit my tongue off.

Back
Top Bottom