Card reader faster than camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a difference in speed when downloading pictures using a card reader vs. hooking the camera up to the computer (both USB 2.0, Compact Flash)? Just clocked my computer's transfer rates with 1394 port vs. USB 2.0: Turns out firewire's purported speed advantage over USB 2.0 is less than 3 percent!

Depends on the camera and the card reader. I prefer to transfer with the card reader, but I generally use more than one card on a shoot anyway, so using the camera is more hassle than a card reader.

I prefer to use a card reader too. I don't really know if it is much faster or not, actually, as I've never tried with my D200. I know with my former Oly C5050 it took quite a while. Using the card reader means I don't have to be concerned about battery power on the camera, and one less cable to carry around.

My $15 from Sam's Club - USB2 card reader is substantially faster than my Nikon D200. And it's tiny.

I use a Lexar (~$25) card reader and, as Howarde said, it is much faster that my D70.

I also use a card reader. I would just rather not use the camera as an interface with the computer. No real good technical reason, I just feel more comfortable not using the camera for that purpose when I don't have to.

Back
Top Bottom