Carbon fins vs. Cressi Gara 2000 HF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great vid review however, I have another question about carbon/fiberglass vs plastic. I have often heard of fiberglass fins de-laminating and wearing out fairly quickly. How do they compare against plastic or carbon fins.

Thx

Hello,
I did test the Cressi Gara 2000 HF once more systematically: 25m sprint (we always train with sprints regually) and changeing the fins with stopping time. And Gara 200 HF is always 1 - 2 seconds slowlier than my old plastic fins and on the last meters of the 25m sprint, I feel myself having no power anymore! My old fins even have a too soft breaking footpocket, but are quicker! I guess, Gara 2000 HF are the hardest fins I tried, the carbon fins were the softest I tried and my old fins have medium flexibility, may be this is best for me, therefore too soft or too hard fins dont transfer power to the water. With my old fins I "feel" that power goes to the water...

Hello,
I did test the Cressi Gara 2000 HF once more systematically: 25m sprint (we always train with sprints regually) and changeing the fins with stopping time. And Gara 200 HF is always 1 - 2 seconds slowlier than my old plastic fins and on the last meters of the 25m sprint, I feel myself having no power anymore! My old fins even have a too soft breaking footpocket, but are quicker! I guess, Gara 2000 HF are the hardest fins I tried, the carbon fins were the softest I tried and my old fins have medium flexibility, may be this is best for me, therefore too soft or too hard fins dont transfer power to the water. With my old fins I "feel" that power goes to the water...

With a race bike on A1A, if you do a time trial, you will find that there will be a gear that give you the most efficient and best speed....too big a gear and it "shuts down" your legs, too small a gear and you waste energy with too high a cadence and too little speed in return....With fins I think it is very similar....there is going to be an optimal stiffness for each person. I do think that the right stiffness issue aside, that the plastic fins will not return power as well as the carbon or composites---but having the wrong stiffness could be much worse if the "gearing" is too far off.

Another reason why every diver should DEMAND to be able to DEMO fins.

Yes - exactly, I really did a lot of "research" long time before I did buy those different fins, but I think now 50% of the result comes from the material of the fin and the other 50% from the physical condition of the diver. Therefore the best way would be testing prior buying - but hard to find such shops, from most of them you have to buy the fins straight away...

Thumbs up on the Beuchat fins. I used the old plastic Gold Fins for years. I agree with what hifreediving says about the quality of their footpockets. I like the the current basic Mundial with the grey plastic blades also. They represent very good value for price/performance if you don't want to spring for carbon fiber.

I like my 2000HF's for scuba. They frog kick well and allow excellent maneuverability when burdened with scuba gear.

When I test fins I check how easy it is to swim a 50m pool length at a normal pace. This is subjective but I can feel clear differences between different fins.

The Captain Nemos are one of the best fiberglass fin you can do pretty much anything to them and they hold up. Most durable fiberglass fin you can get. Great for deep diving and spearing if you can't afford carbon next best choice.

A couple of notes. The best foot pocket is one that fits. Try footpockets on with the sock you will use.

The Capt. Nemos are straight blades not angled. I like angled best for long surface swims. I use Capt. Nemos #3 stiffness with Picasso footpockets and the stiffest Picasso carbon blades. I use the Nemos for rough rocky entries and the Carbon for everything else.

Back
Top Bottom