carbon fibre tanks. Are they ok for australian use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozJohnno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
G'day folks,
I have recently started diving twins and I have a back condition. Because of this, I am looking at getting 2 12l carbon fibre tanks to save myself lifting a few extra Kg's

Do any of the Aussie scuba divers here dive with carbon fibre tanks? Are they certified for use in Australia?

Cheers blokes

Johnno

Might be a better idea to consider sidemount?

SCUBA tanks are susceptible to external damage through handling and external damage to a fiber tank may very well be end of life for the tank.

With any damage (scratch) going through the paint on the outside of a carbon fibre tank it is required to condemn the tank. Also carbon fibre tanks can only be hydro'd twice, Once before you buy it, several years later is the 2nd hydro, and the tank has to be condemned before the 3rd hydro.
It's a good way to keep carbon fibre tanks in relatively new condition since the detonation of an old or damaged carbon fibre tank can cause death, injury, and/or major property damage.

Michael
(who has 2 sets of carbon fibre tanks for his bail out rebreather)

thanks for the feedback guys. I have been looking at aL vs steel too and it looks like steel is again less than aluminum.

Steel tanks it is

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom