Car Tire Inflator from Scuba Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am planning to get one. If IP is at least 120 psi and recommended tire pressure is in the low 30's won't it be very easy to over inflate the tire? Isn't this dangerous? Or can I meter it out but just putting in short bursts and checking?

I am planning to get one. If IP is at least 120 psi and recommended tire pressure is in the low 30's won't it be very easy to over inflate the tire? Isn't this dangerous? Or can I meter it out but just putting in short bursts and checking?
The air hose at 99.9% of auto shops are 120 psi to 140 psi .... So it the same ...:wink:

Jim

I have a different brand but the same concept. I was diving on a private ranch in Santa Rosa NM and had a low tire. A team member had one and it save me from having to change the tire in a field/pasture. This was my first time using one and it worked great.

Now that I live on an island where we use bicycles and bike trailers I have my own inflator in my "save a dive kit". I have used it three times already...love it.

Does anyone here have any experience with something like this? Is there a better option available?

I have used one for decades and have not seen a better option. I also have gotten a lot of use out of a tilt valve inflator for items that were meant to be blown up by mouth. You can get the item below that has been made to attach to your BC hose.

Rubber Tilt Valve Air Duster Blow Gun 1 4 inch Brass FPT Balloon Filler Inflator | eBay

Here is a better example of what I was talking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Gun-Noz...201?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecceb5821

Last edited:
Carry a tire plug kit and you can actually perform a repair, and fill your tire.

I carry a plug kit and a compressor in my car, but I hate mini spares, have wider rims and tires, and often take longer road trips. The funny part is I have never needed it myself, but have used quite a few plugs on other peoples cars.

The plug kit is one way to do a temp fix. They are not a "legal" fix for shops as their is liability involved if they fail later, but for a handy soul they are a life saver.

You can also use a can of sealant made to inflate and seal a tire. In some ways it is better, you don't always know where the leak is. They are small enough to be part of the car emergency kits. On the other hand, the sealant can play havoc with the tire inflation sensor used on current cars.

Got some affordable ones there, ordered but not tried yet
1680025154804.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom