Car safety in other (non-diving) places

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I realise that there is a above average risk of a divers' truck parked in isolated shore dive sites in Bonaire runs the risk of being broken into but what about elsewhere? If I rent an ordinary car and park it in front of accommodations, outside shops, restaurants etc, is there still a substantial risk of it being broken into?

Last edited:
We didn't keep anything in our vehicles we couldn't afford to lose... No matter where we parked. The doors were always left unlocked as well. Just keep things in your room or with you and then there's nothing to worry about!

Personally, I very rarely lock my vehicle and the only time I put the windows up is if rain is anticipated. If so, always leave them open about an inch. As an axiom to this I never leave anything of value in the car. If I am shopping and I am parked in a public lot or in town and have goods in the car, then of course I'll lock it. Never had a problem following this.

Thanks people. I will follow that advice. My dive gear will be locked-up in VIP Divers and the only reasons that I will need the car is for getting supplies, going from/to restaurants and general sightseeing. I will also need it on the day I dive on the East Coast. That was originally planned with Bas Tol but for various reasons has changed to 2 morning dives with Bonaire East Coast Diving. It will be up to me to get there by 07:30.

As for UW photography kit, I'll sling it on my back when I am not using it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom