Car key storage during shore dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terry47

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I do shore dives in a drysuit regularly. I am looking to understand how others manage their car keys …..I am hoping to have an external storage solution rather than in my undergarment layer.
Thanks in advance for any solutions/perspectives offered!

I bring my valet key secured to a bolt snap on the dive with me. I know some put their electronic key into a small waterproof container and attach it to their dive flag. I prefer to keep my key with me in the event that I lose my flag for whatever reason.

I then have my fully functioning key in the vehicle. I open my car with the valet key and I immediately fetch the regular key to disable to intrusion alarm triggered by the valet key opening the locked vehicle.

With the prius I can’t lock it with the key in it so it goes into a baggie and carried in the under garments. Since it’s keyless I only need to touch the door to lock or unlock

With the prius I can’t lock it with the key in it so it goes into a baggie and carried in the under garments. Since it’s keyless I only need to touch the door to lock or unlock

+1

Many cars still have a physical key, it is just hidden. Take that key to a locksmith, chances are they can make you a copy. Attach a bolt snap and put it in one of your pockets. And it typically is pretty cheap, for me the bolt snap at $4 was more expensive than the copy.

On modern cars typically this key will just open the door, even on cars that are started with a key. If your doors have the push button keyless entry look on the internet for RFID blocking sleeves. Put your keys in that before locking the door with the key.

Many cars still have a physical key, it is just hidden. Take that key to a locksmith, chances are they can make you a copy. Attach a bolt snap and put it in one of your pockets. And it typically is pretty cheap, for me the bolt snap at $4 was more expensive than the copy.

On modern cars typically this key will just open the door, even on cars that are started with a key. If your doors have the push button keyless entry look on the internet for RFID blocking sleeves. Put your keys in that before locking the door with the key.

I think even with inflation the $.02 ziplock baggie wins? Plus, with a push of the button everything opens.... no keys needed.

Edit: just read OP, my mistake. He said he didn't want to put them in his undergarments.

You can do what @Manatee Diver said or if you have a hitch you can get a hitch that locks keys inside of it.

I think even with inflation the $.02 ziplock baggie wins? Plus, with a push of the button everything opens.... no keys needed.

At $7 you aren't chancing your $100+ key in case your 2 cent ziploc baggie fails.

And your Toyota should have a physical key. I had one as a rental for a while, it is just hidden you have to pull it out.

Look at the driver’s door. Does it have a keyhole? Then there’s a key... :)

I haven’t personally seen a car without a key hole, but I can’t say I’ve looked terribly extensively, particularly at high end or ultra modern cars. But the three-four times I’ve been told “my car doesn’t have keys anymore!”, it did. Usually with a subtle lever on the key fob to release it.

+1 on @Manatee Diver : get a copy made and put it somewhere on your person. For cars that ‘can’t lock the keys in’: use the mechanical key to lock the door as you walk away... :)

For my baggie to fail my drysuit has to first fail, I love that I don’t have to dig anything out for locking and unlocking, when I drove my truck I just put the key under the gas cap.

At $7 you aren't chancing your $100+ key in case your 2 cent ziploc baggie fails.

And your Toyota should have a physical key. I had one as a rental for a while, it is just hidden you have to pull it out.

Ok you got me.... I'll double down and go all out. 2 baggies @ $.04:poke::D

For my baggie to fail my drysuit has to first fail, I love that I don’t have to dig anything out for locking and unlocking, when I drove my truck I just put the key under the gas cap.

I fall into this camp too, but I did see OP said he didn't want to do what we do. I love walking up to the back of the van with all my gear on, swinging my foot under the rear (for hands free) and having it unlock / open for me. I'm not fancy....but that feels pretty fancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom