Car key storage during shore dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haha, yes, those rental car companies have started giving out both keys Jcp2, From what I gather, they don't really care if you hand them back separate as long as you return both. See : Not that we would ever endorse anything like that :)

We found that the bags would puncture, plastic containers were too big or not sufficiently waterproof and too buoyant. We also tried attaching keys to a float and the rope broke! Had to chase our flag into the boat channel. We finally ended up developing our own solution which we've only recently launched as https://www.dryfob.com

Small enough to fit in a BCD pocket or clip on a D-ring it has dual O-rings and is machined out of anodized aluminum. It is neutrally buoyant (with FOB) and is IPx8 rated to 130 ft/1hr and Dive Lab tested to 200fsw. I've tested it to 260ft for 24hrs in a pressure pot too. $49.99 retail. Available in metallic blue or red. It's also on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Z32DNJW Please make sure your key fits (1.65"x3.75").

We are very proud of our DRYFOB waterproof car key container and just wanted fellow divers to know it's out there!!

That is a great idea! Many of us are looking for something a little bigger to hold a small PLB (maybe 4.75 inches x 2.25 inches inside diameter) if you were able to create something like that many of us would buy it. I would if it was not too expensive, say around $75.

Thanks Lost Diver 71, and thanks for the size idea. I've heard some other feedback that some PLBs may be bigger. We are seriously thinking about a larger one and will price that out too :) I may need to start my own DRYFOB thread.

Thanks Lost Diver 71, and thanks for the size idea. I've heard some other feedback that some PLBs may be bigger. We are seriously thinking about a larger one and will price that out too :) I may need to start my own DRYFOB thread.

Right now the only ones that I know of that are available are from overseas companies so they are not only a little pricey, but they can also be hard to get shipped to the United States when they are even available. I think something like that available on Amazon would probably be a good seller, I know I would buy one if it is under $100 and I might even pay a little more. Although you may want to get it depth rated to a deeper depth as many of us that need one do go deeper than 130 feet.

After reading this thread and searching elsewhere, I learned that my 2019 Outback had a "hidden" feature to enter a PIN. I had no idea because it doesn't have one of those number keypads, but wow! I tried it out today and bam! it rocked. Apparently you can disable the key fob, toss it in the car, lock it and use the PIN when you're done.

DRYFOB for the win!

Perfect size for my key fob for shore dives and completely unnoticeable on land and underwater. It’s nice to wade out into the surf knowing I won’t have to worry about my key getting wet or getting snatched from a hiding place.

I used a triglide and some 1/8” / 3mm bungee cord (same gauge as used for wrist mounts and LPI keepers) to make two loops (from one line) on my right side waist belt. The top bungee fits snugly in the top groove of the body and the lower bungee around the lower body. I also tied a bolt snap to the small hole in the lid and I snap that into my right waist belt D-ring (I’m a rebel soul) as extra insurance.

Great design and great price.

If DRYFOB were to make a larger one for a PLB, I’d definitely buy it.

upload_2021-8-3_22-34-38.jpeg
upload_2021-8-3_22-35-1.jpeg
upload_2021-8-3_22-35-44.jpeg

Apologies for the somewhat cluttered photos but the pictures are still better than my words above.

If I were to slide the DRYFOB over, there’s still enough real estate to fit a full-size can light.

I didn't read the entire thread, this may be covered. It's super simple to disable a smart fob if your vehicle has an external key port, just wrap the fob in aluminum/tin foil. This will block the signal and you can leave your smart key in or under your car. Then keep a regular key in your gear, doesn't matter if it gets wet, to lock and unlock vehicle.

MIne go inside the first stage

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Look at the driver’s door. Does it have a keyhole? Then there’s a key... :)

I haven’t personally seen a car without a key hole, but I can’t say I’ve looked terribly extensively, particularly at high end or ultra modern cars. But the three-four times I’ve been told “my car doesn’t have keys anymore!”, it did. Usually with a subtle lever on the key fob to release it.

+1 on @Manatee Diver : get a copy made and put it somewhere on your person. For cars that ‘can’t lock the keys in’: use the mechanical key to lock the door as you walk away... :)
My car doesn't have a key-hole on any door. It does have one in a fairly hidden in another location though.

Back
Top Bottom