Captain Lost Our Group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The making nice is just a ruse..... there will never be nice over this as the facts speak for themselves.

Then why are you speaking for the facts? You can sit silently and we can all listen to the facts :thumb:

When I was in Cozumel the DM had the safety sausage up the entire dive and the boat captain just followed behind at a safe distance. When a diver surfaced, the boat was just a little behind.

Sounds like she made it right.

To all:
As Christi said, we had a very nice conversation and appreciated her follow up with me. As everyone knows, things do happen but what matters is the follow up. It was my first time in Cozumel and found it's my favorite part of Mexico....so laid back and we met such wonderful people. Even though I've been diving for six years, it pales in comparison to most of you on this blog. We look forward to our next visit.
The making nice is just a ruse..... there will never be nice over this as the facts speak for themselves.
Let me get this straight... are you calling Billiken1 a liar? Enquiring minds want to know! :D

Ya know, the OP has been quite capable of speaking for himself. You were only there on the periphery, and that just makes you another voice in the crowd. If you don't like the way the OP handled it, take it up with the OP.

Wow! :eek: Quite an experience. Glad that Christi was able to post here as well as reach your personally. This was really more between you two, but thank you both for sharing all you did.

The newest diver had a leak in her BCD and wouldn’t inflate.
Now that sucks - but that's something to test on the boat, and reject if it won't. Or discovered on the surface after the dive, drop the weights immediately! Damn!

Live drift dives aren't very forgiving and rely on the boat driver being able to follow your bubbles on the surface. I tend to avoid them.
It's what we do in Coz, and generally works well. Just have to be prepared and ready when things go wrong, as anywhere.

I met with similar requirements in both the Great Barrier Reef and the Galapagos. I think it is very feasible and have said so in the past. An operator could have plenty available so that if divers don't bring their own, they purchase one or rent one at a very reasonable rate. Operators should be able to purchase them at a reasonable rate, and since they would be rarely used the rental ones would still be going strong for a very long time after the rental fees had paid for them.
I still don't understand any diver going to sea without their own. I know it happens, but I'm amazed. For panga boats to keep up with a supply would be just more on top of a lot they already have to do.

If I have a proper understanding of the time frame then Christi made the refund long before this thread ever got started or without being asked to do it.

Are you kidding me? The woman has a great reputation, runs a successful dive op and has for many years, dealt professionally with a bad situation in a public forum and you call it a ruse! I know Christi, we have had dinner on several occasions, have many mutual friends and I have dove with her company on several occasions. Anyone who knows her understands how she cares and takes pride in what happens on her boats. She said she was mortified, I believe that's true. Nobody, including Christi is defending the boat captain. There is no doubt in my mind that any apology or action taken was sincere and heartfelt.
I also it's OK to leave the office at 6pm, smartphone and all and go out to dinner and not return a call until after 9am the next morning.

Fishndive, I don't really owe you this explanation, but for the benefit of others, I will provide one.

You don't know me and have never met me, so you have no idea what I would or would not have done. I refunded the credit card and fired the captain as soon as I heard what happened, not after the scubaboard post. And, as I said and meant, I had every intention of contacting them. Perhaps I should have tried harder to find them on Saturday, perhaps I should ave hung around the hotel waiting for them to return, but I knew that they would not be hanging around the hotel all day on their last day and knew that they were leaving Sunday morning. Maybe it was a flaw on my part in some opinions that my plan after not reaching them on Saturday was to wait until they got back home when I knew I would be able to reach them.

Yes, I could reply from my phone had there been an e-mail and had I had my phone on the dinner table with me on Thursday evening while at dinner with my other divers - but there was not an e-mail and I did not have my phone on the dinner table with me , it was in my purse. I did have 2 phone messages when I checked after dinner one from Steve, and one from Dan letting me know they had arrived - again, it was after 10pm and too late to call. Still no e-mail on Thursday evening from them, only the 2 phone messages. I came in to the office literally minutes before he called me on Friday morning to find out where to meet the boat that afternoon, I had been at the pier and had gone for my run (there was some more personal time in there - oops) - so calling to confirm the dives for the afternoon was on my priority list that morning, I simply hadn't had a chance to call yet! I am sorry if you or others feel that I (dive op owners) am not entitled to a few hours of personal time and that my failure to be on call after 7pm for a check-in is a character flaw or considered faulty communication. I'm also not perfect, so that complicates things a little bit as well.

I was at dinner with divers/friends on Friday evening when the boat came in, and DID have my phone with me at the table because the boat had not come in when I left for dinner at 7:00, and the captain was not answering his cell phone, so I was on call for the crew. At 7:38pm, I received an urgent message from Pedro and called him immediately! At that moment, I said "he (referring to the captain) is not taking another trip out - we need to find someone to cover him immediately - there is absolutely no acceptable excuse for this." I did not have the number to the hotel with me, and we don't have directory assistance here, so I planned and did go to the hotel Saturday morning, but they were already gone. I figured that I would get a call from them when they got back, but I never received any phone calls from them or any e-mails either. I am not passing blame, but I was surprised not to hear from them after the incident. Again, I should have tried to go by there again later, but here comes that part about me not being perfect - the day did get away from me because we had a very busy day on Saturday as well.

Steve and I have spoken and as mentioned from both of us, we had a very nice conversation aside from the topic itself.

As far as the BCD, that BCD was taken out of service, we certainly did not intentionally send out a non-working BCD - it worked on the first dive and obviously had no problems with the previous renter, or it would have been reported and taken in for service. Our equipment is regularly maintained and we keep a log of all equipment maintenance but as most people know and understand, equipment problems happen and without warning most times.

Again, I don't know what else I could have done to make this right. I could have tried harder to reach them on Saturday, yes - but for you to say what I would or would not have done is actually what is off base here.

Pete - what flavor kool-aid do you like, I'll make sure to have some for you! haha!

Last edited:
Pete - what flavor kool-aid do you like, I'll make sure to have some for you! haha!
Black Cherry and Rum... don't forget the Rum! :D And shame on you for being so reasonable! As for eating dinner... that might not be forgivable! I bet you were having Ruse Beef.

:ijs:

how hard is it to put a fork down in a restaurant and write a 1 or 2 sentence reply

Probably not very hard, but rude as hell if she was dining with guests. If I was dining with Christi I would have really appreciated her not having her phone on the table and putting her fork down to answer emails on her phone. Maybe that's just me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom