Captain Lost Our Group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not going to defend the boat captain here but I would like to note that this kind of thing can happen as a result of negligence, or NOT. I dove with Pollo as our boat captain just about three weeks ago and had no complaints or incidents. Now in this situation, he may have been careless, or may have just miscalculated. Either way, it didn't matter to the divers who were paddling for shore.

My experience with Christi is that safety is paramount and I'm not surprised she immediately termintated Pollo. Good boat captain or bad boat captain, I know Christi would never take the chance that it could happen again. She's worked too hard to build the reputation she and her crew have, which is why she has such a following.

It's unfortunate that every time you hire an employee, no matter how thorough and careful you might be about vetting them, you put your own reputation on the line and risk all that you've worked hard to achieve. I don't know anything about this particular boat captain other than he is pleasant, and human, which is the key. (oh, and unemployed)

I feel so bad for the divers involved as I'm sure it was a really scary experience. I can't even imagine since after years of diving I still have separation anxiety after my dive even when I see the boat and the captain looking right at me!

I'm glad no one got hurt, and I'm glad if this had to happen, those folks who were adrift were accompanied by Pedro Pablo. As another poster said, he's the guy I want with me when the shtf.

As for Christi, she's the only reason I started letting our kids drift dive with us in Cozumel when they were first certified. I wouldn't have trusted anyone else. DM's and captains come and go and move around from time to time but I can honestly say that whenever I dive with this op, the DM's are always top notch and the boat captains highly qualified and experienced. Sad that Pollo got a shot at being part of an incredible team and blew it.

I'm glad the divers involved were not injured and seemed to be satisfied with Christi's response.

I have seen all the comments, etc regarding SMBs and I know some of the posters and am wondering why no one has pointed out the need to practice, practice, practice their use. Remember SMBs can cause rapid ascents, depending on the type of inflation OOA problems trying to inflate with your mouth, etc.

If you plan on carrying one practice with it, know how to let out line safely and keep from getting tangled. Always remember to drop the spool etc.

I always carry one in Coz and I tell the DM on the first dive that at 50 feet on ascent I will deploy mine and go through my inflation and spool drills as practice.

Thank you soooo much for that reply. It's not much help if you don't know how to use it!! Still, even if someone does not know how to deploy an SMB underwater, they can still inflate it on the surface. Also agree about a previous post about the importance of carrying a mirror!

Last edited:
I also agree - deploying an SMB can be more dangerous than not having one if not trained in how to use it. If not trained in deploying one, you can still carry one that can be orally inflated on the surface in case of emergency! Please don't try deploying an SMB from depth with a line and reel if you have not been trained and practiced doing so!!!

Another example why THIS is such a good idea. Maybe in-water DMs guiding divers should be required to carry one.

View attachment 127407

Great idea! - Does anyone know how much these run? I think I remember somewhere in the $300 vicinity? (not sure)
Probably out of the price range of most working dive masters here in Cozumel when they need to decide between paying for a replacement BC, regulator, or dive computer.
:depressed: Too bad they couldn't get some kind of "professional" discount. I did see on their site that Pelagic Ventures, here in Cozumel is a distributor.

I remember the first time I deployed my SMB from depth on a practice dive in New Mexico. My bud decided to send his up too. :eek: He did not get his tangled in mine, but he failed to control slack and got his line wrapped around himself. I had to hold my line clear while I untangled him.

I also agree - deploying an SMB can be more dangerous than not having one if not trained in how to use it. If not trained in deploying one, you can still carry one that can be orally inflated on the surface in case of emergency! Please don't try deploying an SMB from depth with a line and reel if you have not been trained and practiced doing so!!!

I don't carry a line - just one for the surface to keep from getting run over or to catch attention if I get split up from my group. I did a dive on tormentos years ago where the current came up and blasted us at 3-5 knots and spread us all out. Had no SMB, nor did the person I surfaced with. Have carried one for topside ever since. Thus why I think they should be required. It is very possible in Cozumel to get separated at some point due to something like that.

Please don't try deploying an SMB from depth with a line and reel if you have not been trained and practiced doing so!!!

So, you are more likely to be injured as a result of a untrained SMB deployment than being run over by a boat by surfacing with no warning to boat traffic? I'm not being snarky here -- I'm really serious. I've never deployed a SMB from depth, but on our last trip, my buddy-husband had a leak that necessitated that we surface well before the group. We had SMBs (no reel) that we deployed once on the surface, but surfacing without a buoy ahead of us was a little unnerving. We planned to purchase a reel before our next trip. How does one become trained and how do you practice?

How does one become trained and how do you practice?
Trained? I took mine in a 80 ft deep, spring fed practice dive hole and did it - after a dry run. Good to have a bud handy with a knife in case you get tangled like my bud did, altho I got him worked out without cutting. He lost control of his buoyancy and started up faster than he was reeling in.

Then he got a fancier reel and sausage, which he stuck in an open BC pocket for a Coz dive. I hope someone found it and got it to a good home.

So, you are more likely to be injured as a result of a untrained SMB deployment than being run over by a boat by surfacing with no warning to boat traffic? I'm not being snarky here -- I'm really serious. I've never deployed a SMB from depth, but on our last trip, my buddy-husband had a leak that necessitated that we surface well before the group. We had SMBs (no reel) that we deployed once on the surface, but surfacing without a buoy ahead of us was a little unnerving. We planned to purchase a reel before our next trip. How does one become trained and how do you practice?

As was mentioned in a previous post - they can cause runaway ascents, entanglement among other things - it's not as simple as it looks. Practice with a DM or instructor in your local pool, lake or quarry before trying it in the open ocean! It is best to have 80 - 100 feet of line and deploy from around 50 feet. Fnger spools are the easiest and sufficient for this purpose. After a few practice drills, you should have it down.

Don, how do do a "dry run" deployment of an SMB?

As was mentioned in a previous post - they can cause runaway ascents, entanglement among other things - it's not as simple as it looks. Practice with a DM or instructor in your local pool, lake or quarry before trying it in the open ocean! It is best to have 80 - 100 feet of line and deploy from around 50 feet. Fnger spools are the easiest and sufficient for this purpose. After a few practice drills, you should have it down.

Don, how do do a "dry run" deployment of an SMB?
I think I cut mine down to around 40 ft or so, in case I drop the finger spool and have to reel it all in.

Not much of a dry run. Just go thru the motions of taking the pair from my BC, preparing the pair, inflating it. Better than just buying the pair, taking them below, and trying to figure it out there.

Many cannot be inflated or deflated without unlocking the valve, and if you've not done it before - it can be a challenge. Not something to discuss below.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom