Captain Aquas in Dublin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been into the captain aqua store in dublin a couple times, and never had a stellar experience. Its never been a bad one, but i've heard of the stuff that owner does from past/current employees as well as the wild rumors.

I've heard that he threw a brick through another dive shop window
I've heard that he smokes weed in his shop
I've heard that he got pissed at a customer and shot out all of the customers tires with a speargun:rofl3:
I've heard and seen his dog walk around the store during open hours
I've heard him yell at a customer on the phone and tell him that hes got better things to do that talk to retards...true story.

Anyway, i go in there today with my regulator to get it serviced because its free flowing out the side somewhere. I talk to andy, the repair guy from the Hayward store who's covering for someone. hes a really nice, and a scuba smart guy. anyway, he looks at the regulator, connects it to a tank, and confirms the fact that its leaking air. He takes it apart right before me, replaces a o-ring, puts it back together, connects it and sends me on my way, free of charge! He saved me atleast $50 for the labor and another 50 for a full parts kit. Anyway, awesome guy

I've heard and seen his dog walk around the store during open hours

So what's wrong with a shop dog?

Frank Barry's Airedale hangs out at AWS.
Bruce and Wesley's Yellow Lab Cody hangs out at Aquarius Del Monte.
There's a little pup that I see at Aquarius Breakwater with some regularity.

WOOF!

The dog's name is Wheatley and he's very friendly, I'd be happy to help you out with any more regulator troubles you have. Thanks for the kind words.

-Andy

I'm a regular at Captain Aqua's which has two stores one in Hayward and the other in Dublin. I ventured into scuba with their guidance and wouldn't change my experience that I've received from John and his two stores.

His staff which consist of Glenn, Jeff, James and Andy are about the friendliest group of divers I have the pleasure of meeting.

They have a plethora of diving data and they are never hesitant to answer all my newbee questions; plus I always get stellar service but hey membership has it's benefits right?

MG

Oh you know, you get your tanks filled there, and later in the week you're checking out a reef and start hacking up furballs!

I have a friend who recently returned from a week of business in Livermore, CA, he dropped in at the shop you mentioned. He did say that he could tell that the smell of hemp was in the air, even in the morning, and that the owner had attitude and was strange to deal with. My buddy has smoked a toke or two and is not one to be critical. It just seemed off for a dive store, maybe not:)

My friend did get to have a Saturday in Monterey Ca, made two good dives, and saw the aquarium. I get to go next time, sometime this spring.

My friend did get to have a Saturday in Monterey Ca, made two good dives, and saw the aquarium. I get to go next time, sometime this spring.

You really should! We have a lot of friendly divers out here in Monterey every weekend, it's a fantastic place to dive, and when you don't want to be wet, the Aquarium is really something you shouldn't miss.

I heard a story today about the owner of the Dublin Captain Aqua. My physical therapist's wife had purchased a dive learning package for him for Christmas (they have been married 30 years and she always has a hard time finding something that surprises him - this did). He went into the shop to get a refund, as he has problems clearing his ears and really had no desire to learn to scuba dive. The owner was rude to him, asked him how long he'd been married in a rude manner, and refused to refund the money. It's not like he put any money out for merchandise, it was just a certificate.

This does not sound like a customer service minded individual. Further, my PT said that even if he wanted to take lessons, he wouldn't want to take them from that shop due to the treatment he received.

Back
Top Bottom