Cape Cod... too dangerous or okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then there's this...

Video: Whale shark swims up to boat off of Cape Cod | Boston.com

Does the chance of seeing a whale shark tempt anyone more than the potential of great whites puts you off? Assuming both are not tempting. :wink:

I suppose it's up to how confident one feels in their ability to discourage an inquisitive 15+ GW from "investigating" or expressed another way, sampling what it sees, just checking for fat content do ya know.

Has anyone here dove Target Ship in cape cod bay in recent years? Would there be a time of year, say early May where it could be not too terribly cold with proper exposure suit and not too high a risk of gw sharks yet for the season? Is diving off target ship even permitted I find conflicting info online. I am a new diver this year and live on the cape and have access to a trailered boat.

Has anyone here dove Target Ship in cape cod bay in recent years? Would there be a time of year, say early May where it could be not too terribly cold with proper exposure suit and not too high a risk of gw sharks yet for the season? Is diving off target ship even permitted I find conflicting info online. I am a new diver this year and live on the cape and have access to a trailered boat.

Not sure about that site, I'm usually in RI or rockport/ Gloucester area.

I dive Woods Hole Garbage beach quite frequently, it is a favorite of mine. and Sandwich beach is popular for checkout dives.

If you haven't yet call some dive shops on the Cape and ask about it. I don't know of any charter operation on the Cape but if you can find one they'd know when the wreck is divable, it's their business to know. They may even have dives going there during the season.

Whenever someone inquiries about diving the U853 I send them right to Giant Stride Dive shop, where they can find books on the sub, look at artifacts from the sub, get all their diving questions answered about the sub and charter dives to the sub. One stop shop.

I'd like to be able to help you with this, but I've got limited diving experience on the Cape. Dived at Wood holes a few times but that's the extent of my experience on the Cape.
Good luck let us know how you made out.

I dive Woods Hole Garbage beach quite frequently, it is a favorite of mine. and Sandwich beach is popular for checkout dives.
Im hoping to do both of those dives this summer. If you are ever looking for a partner let me know.

If you haven't yet call some dive shops on the Cape and ask about it. I don't know of any charter operation on the Cape but if you can find one they'd know when the wreck is divable, it's their business to know. They may even have dives going there during the season.

Whenever someone inquiries about diving the U853 I send them right to Giant Stride Dive shop, where they can find books on the sub, look at artifacts from the sub, get all their diving questions answered about the sub and charter dives to the sub. One stop shop.

I'd like to be able to help you with this, but I've got limited diving experience on the Cape. Dived at Wood holes a few times but that's the extent of my experience on the Cape.
Good luck let us know how you made out.
I have my own gear and access to a boat. I just started in July with my open water, but I was supported by my employment and was able to get through advanced,drysuit&full face, psd, and do a little diving over the cold months. I likely wouldn't have access to a drysuit outside of work, so my question really is more about is diving enjoyable in cape cod bay in may with a 7mm suit with additional hooded vest. And wanted to hear others risk assessment of gw sharks in the bay in early May.

I have my own gear and access to a boat. I just started in July with my open water, but I was supported by my employment and was able to get through advanced,drysuit&full face, psd, and do a little diving over the cold months. I likely wouldn't have access to a drysuit outside of work, so my question really is more about is diving enjoyable in cape cod bay in may with a 7mm suit with additional hooded vest. And wanted to hear others risk assessment of gw sharks in the bay in early May.
I dove a 7MM farmer john style wetsuit in New England during the season (not winter) for 50+ years. Yes you can do it. The north shore is colder than the south side of the Cape. Sometimes diving at Rockport I'd use a 2mm hooded vest also if I was diving below 60ft. The 7mm farmer john style gives you 14mm around your core. Keeps you warm long time.

I am no longer diving. I have a Pinnacle Black Ice 4mm crushed neoprene drysuit front entry zipper size large DM me if you are interested in buying it. It is lightly used, comes with a 7mm semi dry hood. You would need to get rock boots to put over the attached boots. Look it up, check it out and make me an unreasonably low offer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom