Cape Breton Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cuester

Registered
Reaction score
Wreck diver dead after scuba diving accident off Cape Breton
Powered by CYBER DIVER News Network
by LUTHER MONROE - CDNN Safety Editor
SYDNEY, Nova Scotia (23 May 2005) -- A man has died after a scuba diving accident off Cape Breton.

Authorities have not yet released the name of the 58-year-old male resident of Annapolis Valley.

The victim was wreck diving with a group of divers in Barra Strait when he experienced problems and lost consciousness at the surface.

The stricken diver was rushed to Northside General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Other divers in the group told police they followed all standard scuba diving safety procedures.

The medical examiner's office is investigating the accident including the diver's equipment to determine the exact cause of death.

cuester:
This guy was just certified with me in our class in November. What a shame.

Sorry to hear about the accident and I feel bad that it was so close to you. Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention as reviewing cases like this helps make all of us safer divers.

very sad. it sounds like a medical issue

cuester:
This guy was just certified with me in our class in November. What a shame.

Hi,

I thought it was last summer that he had gotten certified? I was one of the Divemasters on his open water course. I was also his dive buddy during his last dive, which was the "Barge" in Grand Narrows, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. It does not look like a medical issue (lungs and heart were good). Also, from someone that had seen his computer after, he did not ascend too fast. Tests are ongoing.

And yes it was a shame, he really loved diving and even with the short period of time that he had been certified, he was an extremely meticulas diver. I will miss him as he was always willing to fill in when my wife was unavailable to dive...he was always ready and willing to "have a go".

However, his wife told me that he always said that he wanted to go either in the seat of a jet (he was a T-Bird Nav) or in the water and that he loved diving so much that he would have no regrets.

Gerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom