Cape Ann Shore Dive 4/5-8/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

North of Cape Cod is dry suit water year round...for me.

I dive an Aqualung Solafx 8/7mm semi dry suit. As long as its not freezing outside im sure ill be good for at least one dive and hopefully two.

For those interested I was thinking a dive at Cathedral Rocks followed by Old Garden beach. Anyone have any experience at either of those dive sites? Old Garden has great parking and has an easy entry/exit. Not sure about Cathedral Rocks. Here is a link to some of the more popular shore dives on Cape Ann. Welcome to Cape Ann Divers! cape ann divers, cape ann diving, boston diving, scuba boston, massachusetts diving, scuba massachusetts, new england scuba diving, scuba new england, north eastern usa scuba diving, scuba resorts usa, boston dive boat div I guess depending on the weather, wind and tide we could pick and choose sites that were on the leeward side of the island.

I was thinking a dive at Cathedral Rocks

I am certainly no authority on Cape Ann [seeing's how I've only dove Folly and Back Beach once each] but I would be a little leery of Cathedral Rocks. From what I have been told it can be a tricky entry[giant stride]. From what I understand about Cathedral's popularity, there is great marine life to be seen there. Frankly at this time of year most of the critters and vegetation are absent. I would love to go there but if you personally are not experienced with local shore diving you may want to make sure you have a personal buddy that knows those rocks...............just sayin'................maybe the locals will chime in and tell me I'm wrong, which is fine by me.

I was thinking a dive at Cathedral Rocks followed by Old Garden beach.
Definitely up for it if we can get someone who knows the site to guide us in and out, as oldflounder said, it seems to be a tricky spot to get it and out from what I've read but worth the effort :)

I am certainly no authority on Cape Ann [seeing's how I've only dove Folly and Back Beach once each] but I would be a little leery of Cathedral Rocks. From what I have been told it can be a tricky entry[giant stride]. From what I understand about Cathedral's popularity, there is great marine life to be seen there. Frankly at this time of year most of the critters and vegetation are absent. I would love to go there but if you personally are not experienced with local shore diving you may want to make sure you have a personal buddy that knows those rocks...............just sayin'................maybe the locals will chime in and tell me I'm wrong, which is fine by me.

I dove Catherdral Rocks although it was a while back... it can be a medium to difficult entry depending upon surge. When I went, you had to time the entry and exit (count the waves and enter and exit on pattern). At least 4 divers got caught and pulled onto the rocky beach part next to the entry and had to be saved by onlookers. That was probably one of the worse days there. My own exit had to be timed as I swam onto the exit rock with 3 people waiting to catch me so I wouldn't get pulled back in (because the next surge threw you onto the rocky beach). CR can be a beautiful dive though. Lots of huge rocks to look under with some big bugs! If you're shore diving, do it on a calm day or go by boat. It also seems to attract the kinda crowd that wants to go there bc of its reputation (I believe 1 diver died there). If you are an experienced shore diver with different types of med to difficult entries, you will be fine, esp if the surge cooperates. Do your due diligence when scouting it out for your level of capability. Someone else may have a different experience of the place, but that's my 2¢.

At Old Garden Beach, I caught a 12.5 lb lobster! Nice easy entry and relaxing dive. A little shallow for my tastes at low tide (~25'-30' unless you're up for a long swim) but you can go to the right for one dive and then to the left for a second dive. Not much in the middle but sand and some isolated rock formations. The beach is also very nice to relax and enjoy the weather if it's nice.

To me, Folly Cove is one of the nicer dives.

Have fun! Report back!

OK - so let's start planning this. I am up for Saturday. Sunday is Easter. High is noonish. First question is where do we meet?

We could meet at Cathedral rocks and make either Old Garden or Folly Cove a plan B if conditions are not good... We could meet on the street just in front of Emerson inn by the sea Cathedral Ave

What time?

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 AM ----------

The winds are not bad for the 7th:
13 km/h NNW AM going to 8 km/h NNW at noon (that makes about 8mph to 5mph)
Maybe we'll get lucky!

We could meet at Cathedral rocks and make either Old Garden or Folly Cove a plan B if conditions are not good... We could meet on the street just in front of Emerson inn by the sea Cathedral Ave

I was thinking more along the lines of meeting at the nearest local pit stop. For me it's a 1 1/4 hour drive and there are no "public facilities" at Cathedral Ave. If this is your first time ocean diving, and we don't have experienced local divers with us, I would strongly suggest Folly. There is no current in the cove, the rocks are scenic to the left and right, it is a very easy entry at high tide and it's a great place to get acquainted with the ocean. The main drawback is the parking situation. There are only a couple spots which will probably already be taken by noon, so you will need to off load there and park about 1/4 mile to the east across from a restaurant that will be on your left.

As far as time to meet---------whenever the majority decides-----------I've got the whole day........though I will probably get in town 10ish to hang out unless we decide to meet at a certain place/time. If so I would suggest the Dunkin' Donuts parking lot at 17 1/2 Railroad Ave. [Rte. 127A], Rockport.

As far as the weather report goes-------------trust me----it'll be changed by Saturday.

Trevor ---I hope you're still coming. I enjoy diving with new divers and I'll watch out for you.............Joe

Last edited:
Sounds good to me. We'll get there on the Friday for the whole weekend so we can easily meet wherever...:D

Just a suggestion... - Cathedral involves quite a clamber down to the water's edge over boulders from where you park. I've never tried to do this while geared up since climbing up/down with all that weight can be tough. I typically bring all the gear down near the water's edge in a series of trips...and stay for 2 dives. Doing this for 1 dive would be tough. Old Garden is easier, but there is no legal parking right at the site unless you are there early (see sign below from OGB - this sign is posted along the street that runs right in front of the beach). As a result, you have to drop your gear off and park a few blocks inland. Again, not bad for 2 dives, but a pain if you are doing only 1 and have already done some major gear portaging back-forth at Cathedral. My $0.02.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom