Capability of regulators ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it should have to do with the Venturi Assist of the 2nd stage
It might have something to with with the Venturi effect, but I doubt that would be in the second stage. I suspect it has something to do with choked flow at the valve outlet: Choked flow - Wikipedia

Once the flow goes supersonic from the sudden pressure change, all kinds of weird things happen that aren't always intuitive. Adding a first stage would reduce the pressure drop at the valve, which would also increase the density of the air. Higher density equals higher mass flow rate? I don't really know, but I suspect it is somewhere along those lines.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
It's definitely less with a regulator than just opening the valve, the fastest way would probably be a first stage with all the LP ports out and no hoses. There would be quite bubble show if you did that in the water, and maybe an ice show if you did it on land.
After ultrasonic cleaning and rinsing, I'll typically dry a first stage body by attaching it to a tank, minus the blind screws, wrapped in a towel -- and, boy-howdy, can that go through a tank of air, if not done slowly . . .

It's definitely less with a regulator than just opening the valve, the fastest way would probably be a first stage with all the LP ports out and no hoses. There would be quite bubble show if you did that in the water, and maybe an ice show if you did it on land.

I think you are right about the aerodynamics of the tank valve vs the regulator. The tank valve merely has to flow enough to keep the HP part of the reg above IP, so there's no huge pressure drop at the tank valve. That's probably what makes it faster, better aerodynamics in the regulator.
Sounds like another experiment for @rsingler!

After ultrasonic cleaning and rinsing, I'll typically dry a first stage body by attaching it to a tank, minus the blind screws, wrapped in a towel -- and, boy-howdy, can that go through a tank of air, if not done slowly . . .
I would think pretty quickly, if you opened the valve and left it open, you're going to get condensation and then ice on the first stage. But a few bursts would dry things out quickly. I do the same after soaking/rinsing my reg set to get any residual water out of the 2nd stages.

Damn, I’ll watch the video of you doing that!
Fortunately I'm not 16! Though I wonder if I had done it from the shore of the Hood Canal how far across it might go

Are you talking about the port plugs or something else here?
Those "port plugs" had always been referred to as "blind screws" for as long as I can recall; but since we're now succumbing to Orwellian absurdities in the West, a more politically expedient term will soon have to be used.

I won't argue with the change to the former name of, say, a nautical bollard; don't feel like dying on that particular hill . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 9.55.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 9.55.37 AM.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 49
Those "port plugs" had always been referred to as "blind screws" for as long as I can recall; but since we're now succumbing to Orwellian absurdity in the West, a more politically expedient term will likely have to be used.

I won't even get into the former names of, say, nautical bollards . . .

I am used to "Port Plugs"

Scuba Tools, for example, calls them "plugs":

1674325617303.png

XS Scuba calls them "port plugs":

1674325808352.png

Scubapro calls them "plug":
1674326148791.png

Atomic calls them "plug":
1674326331124.png

Beuchat calls them "plug":
1674326525676.png

Fine -- we'll split the difference . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 10.46.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 10.46.45 AM.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 44

Back
Top Bottom