Canyon lake report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaggie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went diving at North Park on Canyon lake this last tuesday. I haven't seen it this "good" in a while. The surface vis was about 10 to 15 (depending on carp traffic) and 80 deg. We dove down through the thermocline which starts at about 35' and ends at at about 50'. After you pass through a layer of near 0 vis you come out into teeth chattering 59 deg water. The vis is not bad, about 5 to 8. Maybe even a little better in places. Gotta keep your eyes open for fish line and fallen trees. we dove at 80 ft for about 20 min before it was to cold to continue in shortie wet suits with no gloves or hoods. Man did it ever feel great to get back above the thermocline! We dove back to our put in point at 30-35ft. Seen a sunken boat and an old Chevy or Cutless near a small wall in about 30 ft of water. Pretty good fish life in the shallower depths, the usual suspects-bass, carp, brim, catfish.
Lots of trash in that lake. Someone really should have an UW clean up there!:coffee:

Great trip report. BTW, we ought to go diving again.

Shaggie what did they charge you to get in?? we quit going there...their pricing fluctuated so much last time it was 6.00 pp...also tried to go again and they turned us away said all the picnic benches were full....we explained that we didn't need no stinkin' picnic table just wanted to dive....too bad wouldn't let us in....we were out in a boat this past weekend and it looked pretty empty at Northpark so that is why I was curious what they are charging....I am sure weekends are probably higher...

parrotheaddiver:
Shaggie what did they charge you to get in?? we quit going there...their pricing fluctuated so much last time it was 6.00 pp...also tried to go again and they turned us away said all the picnic benches were full....we explained that we didn't need no stinkin' picnic table just wanted to dive....too bad wouldn't let us in....we were out in a boat this past weekend and it looked pretty empty at Northpark so that is why I was curious what they are charging....I am sure weekends are probably higher...

North Park is free on the weekdays. On the weekends it's (don't quote me on this) $8, 10 or 12 per car load, I've never dove there on the weekend. They have to have a camp site availible or they won't let you in. Why? Your guess is as good as mine. Like you said-we don't need no stinking table! Next time I want to try diving at Comal Park. It looks like it might have some interesting UW topography. Check out
www.topozone.com it has topo maps of the area that include the lake bottom.

There's an underwater course across the lake from Northpark called Holiday Lodge, got some cars and stuff sunk there. (Map courtesy of Duggan Diving). Comal Park is where we have done most of our body recoveries there are two distinct shelves that drop sharply off the shore, the first is around 25-30', and the second is around 70'. Right now it's not an issue due to the lake level, the scenario is usually someone that cannot swim wading from the northern point of Comal park to the island about 60 yards away they get too close to the drop off; and drop off, most of the time we find them on one of the shelves.

I'm pretty sure I've dove Holiday Lodge, but I've never seen the submerged junk. I think that I was to far to the east. Also, both times I've dove there the vis was about 2ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom