Canyon Lake 6-7-2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay_SMART_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Several of my fellow San Marcos Area Recovery Team members and I took our Dive Boat out to Canyon Lake for a little recreational/training diving. Since we usually have a few recoverys every year out there we thought it would be a good idea to get some non-recovery diving in for some of the newer divers. We started off in the "Party Cove" (if you've ever been on Canyon on the weekend you know why) Looking for lost items (TREASURE). Did two dives there:
Dive #1 38 feet for 28 minutes, 1 foot vis (if that) very dark and murky, 72 degrees at depth, 89 outside. Had to use John lines to tether to buddy, didn't find any treasure but quite a few cans and bottles.
Dive #2 38 feet for 14 minutes move to a spot where I was hoping to find an anchor or two but struck out there too.
Since the cove was a bust we decided to hit North Park near the Dam; where LDS have some items sunk (boats), a couple of platforms, and visibility would be better. Dive #3 35 feet for 29 minutes, vis was about 8-10, 74 degrees and 99 on surface. Did a nice compass run along a shelf that parallels the shore and made it back to the anchor line for surfacing. Ahhh yes my powers of Navigation even suprised me The visibility at Travis is better than Canyon, but it is closer, and FREE during the week at North Park (Mon-Thurs) no on-site Air.
So there's a little bout Canyon, Had a great time.

Jay thanks for the great report...always good to hear about places around Tx. to try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom