Can't Wait for More Twin Lake Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SwampThing

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

It's been awhile since I have been on the board.

How's is the water temp at the lake? If it's not at least 70 degrees, you will not see me in the water.

I am going to start my Dive Master course next week, eventhough, some people discourage me from doing this. They say it is just a waste of money. Does anyone else feel that way? I think it will make me more knowledgeable about diving.

When does Twin Lakes typically warm up?

Swampthing!!!

Well that depends on our friend Mr.Sun.Last year it was toward the last part of march before it was up to 70.Yesterday it was at 58 top to bottom so it will be awile.A good rule of thumb is when the weatherman says that the beach water temp for galveston is whatever..the lake is usually 2 to 5 degrees warmer.Don`t ask why but it worked out that way looking at it last year.

As far as dive mastering goes;I am not one but have been told by 2 divemasters that there isn`t enough money in it for all the work and time spent.So weigh it out for yourself...if you want to share your excitment of teaching to others and don`t mind the small return then it would be ok..to me I guess it depends on where your heart is in it to make that decision.

Good luck though.....hope it all goes well,see ya at the lake!!

:)

SwampThing once bubbled...
Hello Everyone:

It's been awhile since I have been on the board.

How's is the water temp at the lake? If it's not at least 70 degrees, you will not see me in the water.

I am going to start my Dive Master course next week, eventhough, some people discourage me from doing this. They say it is just a waste of money. Does anyone else feel that way? I think it will make me more knowledgeable about diving.

When does Twin Lakes typically warm up?

Swampthing!!!

I'm with ya, Swampthing! I'm waiting for at least 68º or so.

As for Divemastering...it depends what you expect to get out of it. If you're looking at it as a way to make extra money, forget it. In fact, being a DM will end up costing you money. DM's don't get paid in this part of the country. Most of the time they cover thier own expenses when working classes (out of town hotel, gas, meals, etc). You'll also be expected to keep extra gear on hand such as weights, ropes, floats, etc. Yes...the dive shop is supposed to supply stuff like this but I haven't seen an instructor yet that always remembers to get it from the shop or load his own. You learn to carry with you that which makes your job easier!

If you expect to get great deals on your gear, forget it. Most shops will give you 20% off, Sea Sports offers 40% on most things, but you can only use so much gear. after a while, believe it or not, you won't really need anything! 20% off that $3.00 clip just doesn't get me excited anymore. You will get offered Key Man deals on major gear, ie. regs, BC, computers, once a year...maybe. (Key Man is offered by the manufacturers and is usually below the stores wholesale cost). However I do know DM's who have never been offered this perk so don't count it as a done deal.

Some shops will send their DM's on dive trips as trip leaders. This sounds like a fun thing and it can be but it's a working trip. The senior DM's get the trips so hang in there for your seniority!

If you enjoy people, enjoy helping people, enjoy passing along what you've learned, and enjoy being a leader, divemastering can be great fun.

If you have, or get, a Dive God complex you won't last long!

I'm starting my DM this coming Monday - I personally don't think it's a waste of money, I've already read through the materials and there are quite a few useful nuggets in there. The only reason that I could see someone saying that it is a waste is if they were a) expecting to make money at it instead of doing it because they love diving and want to help other people, or b) they had shoddy instruction and didn't really learn much more than was required to pass the tests. I personally am expecting to get worked over by my instructor during my DM training which will make me more prepared than if I were to just coast on through it.

I just finished all my book work for the divemaster program and now just have to get in the pool and get some diving in! I looked at this certification not as "making money" but as more education for myself.
I believe that it is a good program and you learn a heck of a lot!!

Good luck!

DM has not been a waste of time for me. It has taught me alot of things.

The first lesson I learned is to do your due dilligence before you associate with a shop. Learn about the shop. What kind of advertising does it do? Does it advertise? Who is it associated with?

It has been a fun, strenuous, challenging, educational, and overall enjoyable experience.

I am almost finished. I didn't get into it for the pay. I wanted to improve my skills, learn to be a better diver, and start working with classes. I have accomplished all three. When it is all said and done I will hold DM cards from two agencies.

TwoBit

Back
Top Bottom