Can't unscrew Light Cannon Bezel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soamelt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have this light ever have a problem unscrewing the bezel to replace the batteries? I've had issues before, I usually have to stick in between my knees and put a towel around the rubber part to unscrew. There's no way it should have to be that difficult.

It's stuck on now and I'm afraid I'll break it if I try any harder. I imagine soaking it won't help, I would think the o-ring would expand? I'm pretty sure I'm turning it the right way, if looking at the bulb with the switch towards the ground I'm trying to turn it counter clockwise.

Ah, in hindsight, I guess it was a stupid question. I'm just going to stick it in a vice tomorrow and go to town on it. It really shouldn't be that difficult though. I guess I should have posted in the whine and cheese forum.

I'm just going to stick it in a vice tomorrow and go to town on it.

Don't forget...

thorpe_wheaties.gif

try pouring hot water on the bezel - that should expand the air trapped inside & might work with you when you try to open it.

I did finally get it off. I did have to put it in a vice which I almost ripped off the workbench. That SOB put up a good fight, bit there was no way I was going to do an RMA to have UK unscrew it. There probably is something wrong with it, it shouldn't get that tight.

Did you fly with it assembled?

No I did not. Are you not suppose to?

try pouring hot water on the bezel - that should expand the air trapped inside & might work with you when you try to open it.

I will try that next time I can't get to a vice. I didn't screw it on too tight though this time.

Righty tighty, lefty loosey

It did have my doubts that I may have been turning it the wrong way, but it was right (or should I say lefty).

HowardE's question isn't that crazy.Two things come to mind for your problem.
Under pressure and over pressure.
After flying,especialy when the light goes with the checked luggage,air can seep out of the body,causing a under pressure.Just heat up the light (warm water not a blowtorch) and try again.

With over pressure,caused by off gassing from the battery,freez it.Just put the light in the freezer for an hour and try again.

Works for me all the time.

Hope it helps.

Been there done that !! My guess is its also time to change the primary O ring you will probably find it much easier to open afterwards. Also a rubberized strap wrench works well.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom