Can't take a dump...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was going to sugest taking Exlax:D , but finding the valve and tracing the cord should be enough.

If you can't reach the valve, then you can replace the cord with a longer one and tie it to the shoulder D-ring, that way it'll be easier to find.

I have the same thing with my Sherwood Avid. Maybe 20% of he time the pull knob is someplace where it's hard to notice with a gloved hand.

A buddy has a ne DSS SInfges rig and all it had was a string. He added one of those perforated ping pong sort of balls which I think is buoyant.

Since it's easy to encircle the actual valve with my thumb and forefinger adding buoyancy to the pull should be a big help. That way it should be more or less above the valve all the time when you are hoizontal and would care to use it.

Pete

In my opinion it's better to cut the thing off completely so you don't have a potential means for unintentional air loss by way of a string or a knob caught behind you.

--Matt

SeanQ:
Try reaching back until you feel the valve. Make a circle with your thumb and forefinger in the OK sign around the valve then bring your fingers together. The ball and string should fall right into your hand.
What he said.... It just takes practice, and then you'll be able to go to it automatically, without fumbling. I know because, well, been there - done that.

And here I thought that this was just going to be an extension of the "How do you pee in your wetsuit?" threads! :D

The OK sign around the valve works so well that you won't miss the ball at all if you just take it off. A knot at the end of the string ends up pinched between your thumb and forefinger/palm effortlessly after very few tries, if even that many.

I was skeptical when trying out my DSS rig but read that suggestion (in the DIR forum I think), vented easily on my first attempt with thick gloves, and immediately abandoned all thought of adding anything. If you don't need it (and especially if you can imagine scenarios in which it could be a hindrance and/or danger), don't take it. That's become my attitude at least.

YMMV of course,

Adam

neophyte:
The OK sign around the valve works so well that you won't miss the ball at all if you just take it off. A knot at the end of the string ends up pinched between your thumb and forefinger/palm effortlessly after very few tries, if even that many.

I was skeptical when trying out my DSS rig but read that suggestion (in the DIR forum I think), vented easily on my first attempt with thick gloves, and immediately abandoned all thought of adding anything. If you don't need it (and especially if you can imagine scenarios in which it could be a hindrance and/or danger), don't take it. That's become my attitude at least.

YMMV of course,

Adam

I appreciate that too, Adam. I've been doing my best to get rid of stuff that I don't need in my BC. The less junk I have around me and to worry about, the better.

Buy an Oceanic Probe. Both the right shoulder dump and rear dump have the dump cords routed thru the bc to the front. Never any problem locating them. And looking at the new Excursion from oceanic I see that it's rear dump while not corded to the front has the dump and pull on the diver side of the bladder as opposed to the tank side.

On my Cressi, there's one on the right-hand side, on the chest. The rear dump on that one, is also on the right. It's just difficult to find sometimes.

On my Dive-Rite, it's on the left side, but until I'm accustomed to it, I can see that with the wing and everything else that's going on back there, it's going to be a challenge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom