cant reach my fins in my drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajohn921

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
how annoying, I cant reach my feet to put on/take off my fins when im in my drysuit, if i really push and bend down i can almost get my hands onto my spring heels, am i doing something wrong? im new to drysuit diving (3 dives) and each dive someone has to help me with the fins...

What's stopping you? Is the underwear too restrictive (the 1-piece suits can be like that), is the suit's torso too short? From my own research, people often say when you size a drysuit you need to be able to reach your fins (for instance, in case they come off in the water and you need to reseat them).

Do you have any idea where the restriction is?

A laminate or crushed neoprene suit will have a certain amount of baginess to allow for such gyrations since the suit cannot stretch. If your suit is fitting like a James Bond tuxedo it may in fact be too tight to work effectively.

The other thing that comes to mind is a bunching of equipment. Especially a weight belt that is exacerbated by the bulk of drysuit garments and BC overlap. A DUI weight harness can let some bulk drop a tad below your waist and help here.

You may find that you need to use a different position to get the reach you have used when diving wet but you should/must be able to manage your own fins as well as the rest of your gear.

Pete

Does this problem occur on land, in the water, or both?

My husband had an ill fitting drysuit and was not able to properly reach his valves. He purchased a new suit, the arm lengths were correct and voila he could reach his valves (doubles).

I've never had this problem in my suit. The only thing I could think of is that the legs are not long enough so you can't properly bend. Are you able to lift your leg and reach the strap while balancing? Thats how I put my fins on not just standing level and reaching down to my feet.

Miranda

now that i think about it it feels like the restriction is in the mid section/weightbelt area, this has happened from day 1, over the weekend i tried it without the undergarment and dove in a fleece and sweats, couldnt reach.. again...as well as finning and my foot coming out of the boot, got my suit altered and stuck softboots on to relieve this problem, i think ill attempt to put my fins on wearing my drysuit ONLY (without wing/weightbelt) to see do i have any problems and ill take it from there

What method are you using. If it's the figure four with the leg it should not be a problem. If it is then something is not right. Either the suit is cut too short in the torso and will not allow you to bend or somebody shortened your arms while you were not looking. Any UFO sightings in your area lately?

Is it putting the fins ON or taking them OFF that's a problem, or both?

I put my fins ON by lying back in the water and doing the figure 4 in front of me, when I'm shore diving. It's WAY easier than trying to reach my feet while standing. On a boat, I'll either get the crew to help me, or I'll do the figure 4 while standing and holding onto something, but either way, I make sure I have the suit full of air, so it's maximally loose and flexible while I'm coping with my feet.

Shore diving, you stand in deep water to doff fins, and the suit collapses around you and makes it hard to move. Closing the valve and pumping a little air in will make the process way easier.

It's easy to underestimate the amount of restriction caused by even a small amount of dry suit squeeze.

hmmm...

how are you putting them on and taking them off?

you really should have no trouble in a drysuit ... if the drysuit fits... and if you are using the right technique, and if you put a bit of air in your suit to prevent total squeeze

don't bend down to do it ... bend your knee and bring your foot up, then slip the fin in

Closing the valve and pumping a little air in will make the process way easier.

Yep! Works great for climbing boat ladders too. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom