Can't open the #*&@!! flashlight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dogglebe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
On the way back from my vacation in Turks and Caicos, luggage inspectors had me open a suitcase containing my Princeton Tec Torrent LED flashlight and remove the batteries. I had no problem unscrewing everything, pulling out the batteries, and screwing it back together... all done without any tools.

Now, I can't unscrew the light to put batteries back in. I tried putting a rubber band around the top for a better grip (a great old trick) but it's no budging. I don't want to use a vice or any other tool in fear of cracking it.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm wondering if it could be a vacuum seal in the light as T&C was a lot warmer where I am now. Maybe I should place it in my car where it gets pretty hot in daylight hours.

Any help would be appreciated.

Phil

Thats irritating as hell. I've had that happen with an old UK light I have.

What I've done to get mine open in the past was to use a bit of rubber from a bicycle innertube and wrap it around the light head together with a stick. In my case I just used a broken bit of a broom handle I had kicking around. The extra leverage did the trick. I don't know if that will work for you because your light is smaller than the one I'm talking about.

You might be able to get enough grip using rubber gloves like the ones for washing dishes or something like that. Think out of the box. You're going to need more grip or more torque.

Another idea might be to put it in a basin of warm water for a while before trying to open it. That might help the air inside expand a bit.

R..

If all else fails,.. drive to the nearest high, mountain and repeat the tips above :)

...and then buy an aluminum light next time. I've had that problem with plastic lights but never with aluminum lights.

The solution might be as simple as a trip to WalMart or Home Depot. I don't know the exact dimensions of the piece you're trying to grip, but you want something called a strap wrench. Not only will it open your light, but it will open any lid or remove your oil filter. Mine adjusts from 1" to about 7", so I'm pretty sure it will fit your light.

Have you tried soaking it in warm water?

Are your man-hands big enough? I have problems opening all my plastic dive lights. I put them between my feet and grip with my hands and try..... then I ask my non-diver husband....of course I loosened them for him!

The solution might be as simple as a trip to WalMart or Home Depot. I don't know the exact dimensions of the piece you're trying to grip, but you want something called a strap wrench. Not only will it open your light, but it will open any lid or remove your oil filter. Mine adjusts from 1" to about 7", so I'm pretty sure it will fit your light.

My favorite fix! The good ole strap wrench or filter wrench. Been using it for a few years and no longer have to ask the guys at work to help me open it after getting home from a dive trip and not being able to open a dive light. So easy a chic can do it!

Paula

I've also found that keeping your o-ring lubricated and replacing it when it is starts to take a compression set is also helpful. This more or less solved the problem with my old Light Cannon.

The strap wrench works great. It's for old people to open tight jars or something and won't cut the light (if you get the rubber one).

Back
Top Bottom